Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/12/2015 4:16:41 AM EDT
Hey there,

Just as the title implies, I would like some opinions on the wood stain of this Yugo OPAP. I'm not too sure what to call the stain, (a dirty dark brown?) but the finish seems to be in Shellac. Anyways, just wanted to see what the community thought.

Thanks,
Kolme

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Too dark for me.  I prefer the original oiled wood look.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I would take off the shellac and wood bleach it and then apply tung oil (true tung oil, not tung varnish) over the course of a month

Yugo AK is best AK
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
as stated above or use boiled linseed oil, give it an "authentic" finish if done properly
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to be apposed to Yugos with dark stained wood, but nowadays not so much.  At least it's different, I get tired of seeing the same thing over and over again.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey yall!

Thanks for yalls votes and opinions! I think in person it's fun to see something a bit different from the normal, but do think its lacking a bit of contrast against the dark metal (a little less so in person, but still present). I think for now I'll keep it as is and see how I feel about it, a few trips to the range in the sun should help me with that. If I decide to change it, I think I'll do a shellac removal, the wood bleach and then a tung oil as previously suggested (or maybe the tru-oil linseed from birchwood casey?).

Thanks again and please feel free to keep suggesting and commenting, I love hearing useful perspective!

Kolme
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
If you really want to do something worthwhile, change out that pistol grip.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you really want to do something worthwhile, change out that pistol grip.
View Quote

Actually I was thinking this as well, do you have a good source for a nice wooden grip? It would do wonders regardless of the color.

Kolme
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the Yugo #3 (with ferrule) or Yugo #2 (no ferrule) grips from Ironwood Designs.
They are currently out of ferrules for the #3 (my favorite), so unless you have a source for the ferrule you might be better off with the #2.

You can choose your own wood type.

Otherwise, a surplus M76 grip is a great choice as well.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like the Yugo #3 (with ferrule) or Yugo #2 (no ferrule) grips from Ironwood Designs.

They are currently out of ferrules for the #3 (my favorite), so unless you have a source for the ferrule you might be better off with the #2.

You can choose your own wood type.

Otherwise, a surplus M76 grip is a great choice as well.

View Quote

Awesome thanks for the name and specifics, I'll prob order the #2 this week. The harder decision will be to either stain it like the current furniture or citristrip/kleenstrip everything down to the wood and go with another color, maybe blue just kidding.

**edit**
Btw what's this feedback money thing about, is that like a thumbs up? Sorry still very new around here.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#10]
color is a bit dark for my taste, but the stain and finish job look nicely done.

If it is shellac, that is not a very durable finish

tung oil

polyurethane or

lacquer

will hold up better in the long run

that said, I don't mind if an ak has a beat up look, kinda like it actually

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Btw what's this feedback money thing about, is that like a thumbs up? Sorry still very new around here.
View Quote

If you're referring to the user feedback members have, it is earned for stuff bought or sold in the Equipment Exchange.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Everyone have their opinion. If you like original finish than refinish it with  "Laneno ulje on yugoslavian language" or BLO
I tried many different stains, oil, water and alcohol based. Different color and everything else. Non of them looks good as original blonde. So i did all my furniture in BLO and another extra sets with Rit dye in redish with high gloss tru oil with 12 coats just because i had extra sets and red with little bit orange bring yugo furniture grain really nice

Here is a few pics with different finishes on yugos and dome other AKs

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Everyone have their opinion. If you like original finish than refinish it with  "Laneno ulje on yugoslavian language" or BLO

I tried many different stains, oil, water and alcohol based. Different color and everything else. Non of them looks good as original blonde. So i did all my furniture in BLO and another extra sets with Rit dye in redish with high gloss tru oil with 12 coats just because i had extra sets and red with little bit orange bring yugo furniture grain really nice

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx281/YugoM76/20140110_123135_zps7852745a.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx281/YugoM76/20131227_102058_zpsa2bffed3.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx281/YugoM76/20140428_090902_zps0bk7drcv.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx281/YugoM76/20140610_090442_zps89yifpmp.jpg
View Quote

Nice work.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice work.

View Quote

Thanks Liquid.
And i apologize. This isnt my thread but i just wanted to show Kolme a few different finishes
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

wow, great pics man! some great stuff to consider!!!!. Those pictures alone will really help me decide on what color I go with.. I'm loving the top middle one, is that the blonde you're describing??? Since you have so much experience, could you tell me the best way of stripping the existing finish? I was considering a long bath in citristrip or using kleen strip?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:06:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Kleen strip in spray is what i use. Citri strip is kinda week. Make sure you wear rubber gloves with kleen strip. Spray it. Wait 15 min. Strip it and wash it with warm water. Dry it and do 3 times. It will be cosmo free
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:10:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

wow, great pics man! some great stuff to consider!!!!. Those pictures alone will really help me decide on what color I go with.. I'm loving the top middle one, is that the blonde you're describing??? Since you have so much experience, could you tell me the best way of stripping the existing finish? I was considering a long bath in citristrip or using kleen strip?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Top middle one. Are you talkin about M76 set. If so thats finished with tru oil
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info Yugo, you've been a lot of help! I'll prob make this my weekend project after a trip to lowes. i haven't quite decided what to do with this OPAP in terms of ownership, but I certainly want it to looks it's best regardless.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top