Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2010 1:04:13 PM EDT
Hi all,.

I am a fairly new Zastava PAP owner.  I am not an expert or even advanced user nor anything close, but i love this rifle.  Also by living in a Communist state, the Zastava was perfect because it's basically perfect for my state from the factory (by design)... And since I have no plans of moving, even though it might be hard to "convert " should I desire, thats okay.  I would love a fancy Cadillac-style Saiga convert but right now this is my personal hotness... Maybe in the future, who knows, but for the moment I have no Saiga, I have a Serbian PAP as my Caddy.

I would like to make some mods to this because, short of acquiring $2000+ for a wishlist AR project, this will be my main SHTF/assault/battle/combat/Zombie/general ass-kick & debauchery carbine.. I would like to get some night sights, eventually, but I also would really like an Aimpoint someday...Despite the fact that the Zastava comes with a rear Pic rail, I was told this is junky because its not secure on the dust cover and wont allow zero to be held.

So many told me to get an Ultimak front gas tube rail.  They say this Ultimak and an Aimpoint Micro is the best of the best for AK's.  But Ultimaks can be very expensive.. I was wondering if I can use  this "Yugo M70 Quad Rail" http://www.centerfiresystems.com/yugom70quadrailsparthdg-ak-yugo.aspx from Centerfire Systems...  I like this $60 price, and I also would really like the Quad Rail ...  I am thinking I could the forward-mount the optic of my choosing (hopefully some sort of Aimpoint when I can save up) , and also I could install a fore grip handle on the bottom of the rail, which is something I REALLY wanted from the get-go.. and then possibly even deck out the sides of the rail with some rail covers/clips/etc....

Anyway just hoping for some feedback, thanks much.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Those quad rails should fit the Zastava PAP just fine. Just keep in mind they are made in china. I personally would not recommend mounting optics on them since they most likely will not hold zero very reliably. If you plan on mounting optics the Ultimak rail is a much, much better choice.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I know you said the Ultimak is a little pricey for you, but if you bundle it with a red dot from Primary Arms, you can have both for $140-150ish.  It's probably the best deal going on gear that is actually worth owning.  If you go with the Primary Arms micro red dot, you get a nice lower 1/3 co-witness as well.  Only the Ultimak offers that.

Marshall at Primary Arms is a site sponsor who is well known for hooking up Arfcommers with great deals.  Shoot him an e-mail, the Ultimak/micro combo might be more affordable than you think.

My 2 cents on the matter...

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Would be nice if they made the PAP's easier to convert like a Saiga. It's the closest thing to a nice blued Norinco AK.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:00:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't know if you've came across these, but here's some links to photos of some work I've done to mine.

http://robenglish.com/Zastava_PAP_UTG_Yugo_M70_Quad_Rail/index.htm
http://www.robenglish.com/Zastava_PAP_Feed_Ramp_Mod/index.htm#11
http://robenglish.com/Zastava_PAP_web/index.htm
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top