Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2010 4:13:27 PM EDT
I just got my PAP back from Turbothis. http://www.mygunsnorthwest.com/index.html
He milled the receiver and trunion to fit a double stack mag, and threaded the barrel 14x1 LH threads.(ak slant comp works good. I did have to buy a pin and spring to retain the comp)
Matt did a good job on the conversion.
Tried 4 diff type of AK mags, all lock in perfect no wobble.

Problem 1: won't feed rounds
I dremeled a feed ramp into the bullet guide and got it to half ass feed rounds .

Problem 2: The PAP bolt is narrower at the front where it strips rounds from the mag.
It's made to strip from a single stack mag. With a double stack mag, it jumps over the rounds sometimes.
I'm thinking an M70 bolt may be the key.
Tried one at a local gunshop. Might fit if I dremel down the bullet guide a bit.

Ordered an M70 bolt .Back to testing once it arrives.

I also got an M70 wood stock from IWD.( from the wood pile) Fits fine, even with the angled receiver.
M70 pistol grip fits good also.

Magwell opened up

With wood stock and grip (Beechwood from IWD)

With wood stock and original Yugo m70 grip

Threaded barrel with slant comp

No stock
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just send it back to the guy. It should have never left his shop if it didn't feed rounds correctly. Looks pretty nice though. Did you fire the rifle before it was converted?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]

I dremeled a feed ramp into the bullet guide and got it to half ass feed rounds .

This is apparently a fairly common problem. Polishing the feed ramp/guide usually fixes it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would just send it back to the guy. It should have never left his shop if it didn't feed rounds correctly. Looks pretty nice though. Did you fire the rifle before it was converted?

Yes I fired it before I sent it off.
Shot about 100 rds through it with zero problems, other than the cheap ass plastic 10 rd mag didn't want to feed the last rd.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This is apparently a fairly common problem. Polishing the feed ramp/guide usually fixes it.

It's gonna take more than just a polish to the ramp/guide to get it to feed right.

I think I will end up dremeling a bevel all the way across the guide and see how the M70 bolt works once I get it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#5]
That slant-cut receiver really makes that butt stock look like ass.  If I ever convert my PAP (doubtful), I'll either make some kind of filler plate for the slant or go with an Ace sidefolder.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That slant-cut receiver really makes that butt stock look like ass.  If I ever convert my PAP (doubtful), I'll either make some kind of filler plate for the slant or go with an Ace sidefolder.

Yeah, I think the PAP's were not made to be mucked around with.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Ace is next on my List.
The wood stock is on it just until I can convince the wife I NEED the ace.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Success!

Dremeled/beveled all the way across the bullet guide.

It now seems to feed very well !

Hand cycled 15 (dummy) rounds through it as fast as I could yank the charging handle.
Worked perfect.

Test firing tomorrow after work!
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Test fired yesterday.
Functioned perfect with the plastic Tapco mags.
They fit tight, no wobble or movement at all.
Fired 60 rounds of wolf lacquered and poly FMJ no problems.
Rapid and slowfire , functioned perfect.

I tried 2 Hungarian metal mags, wouldn't feed.
Didn't have the patience to mess with them anymore.

Trigger is kinda sticky and doesn't want to reset every time.
I had to barely bump it forward from time to time. ( I'll throw in a Tapco G2 and see if that fixes it)

Over all I am very happy with the double stack mod ( now that I have it functioning)

Next will be the Ace adapter and FTS stock, and maybe a Tech sight.( or a ultimak and red dot)
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Matt "Turbothis" makes a custom rear trunion with an expanded outer edge that matches up to the slant cut in the PAP receiver.

He has posted a few pictures of it on the AK Forum and it looks good IMO - not sure why you would convert a PAP without one given the slant cut.

I was seriously considering a PAP conversion but if the bolts are indeed narrow for single stack and aren't 100% reliable after conversion then no thanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Put the dremel away and contact the gunsmith for assistance.

At this time taking of metal anywhere on the rifle is not in your best interest.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Put the dremel away and contact the gunsmith for assistance.

At this time taking of metal anywhere on the rifle is not in your best interest.

I did contact him and he said to send it back to him, or if I wanted , I could dremel  a feed ramp myself.
I choose to dremel it myself.
It was an easy 5 - 10 minute fix.

Problem solved. It now feeds, functions and fires perfect.
Saved myself shipping and time without the gun by doing it myself.

Sometimes a person has to learn to solve problems on there own.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Is that with or without the M70 bolt?

Link Posted: 7/27/2010 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that with or without the M70 bolt?

Without.
PAP bolt worked fine.
I could have dremeled a little more on the bullet guide and got the M70 bolt to work, maybe.
Wasn't sure if it would lock up right, or head space properly tho.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 2:56:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Update:
Dremeled a bit on the bottom of the M70 bolt last night.
Locks up fine now. Feeds and functions perfect with metal mags !
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top