Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2009 6:59:30 AM EDT
I have been looking around for a new Yugo M70 ak and I see that the fixed stock is more expensive than the underfolder. I want to know if there is any different in quality ??? Thanks for your time im new at this.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been looking around for a new Yugo M70 ak and I see that the fixed stock is more expensive than the underfolder. I want to know if there is any different in quality ??? Thanks for your time im new at this.

Not aware of any difference in quality.  The fixed stock M70's are apparently more scarce than the folders, and scarcity factors into prices.

Otherwise it all boils down to preference.  The fixed stock will generally be much more solid as far as shouldering the rifle.  On the other hand the folder can be stored in smaller spaces and could be handier inside confined spaces like a car, for obvious reasons.

My only complaint regarding my fixed stock M70 is the high comb of the buttstock.  I'm thinking of sanding it down a bit for a more comfortable cheekweld.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Speaking only for myself, I have a strong preference for fixed stock B1s.  Much more comfortable to shoot.

I'm not much of a fan of underfolders, even though I own three of them.  The underfolding stock leaves a lot to be desired in terms of rigidity and shooting comfort compared to a fixed stock rifle IMO.

The high comb on the B1s makes for a good cheekweld when optics are involved, as both of my B1s have optics on them.

My 2 cents...
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
One thing to consider with the Yugo fixed stock rifles is that they don't have much drop in the stock.  Compared with my Bulgarian SA M5, or a Romy SAR-1 with the factory stock, for example, it's hard to get my head down enough to see the sights.  I bought a Yugo underfolder last weekend, and in contrast, it's actually pretty comfortable to shoulder (haven't shot it yet).

YMMV, but it's worth shouldering one in the store just to make sure the stock fits you well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I would get a fixed stock version if you can. I hardly ever see them for available for purchase but I see underfolders everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
get both!

M92 and M70B1
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Do what I did, my parts kit came with no trunnion or receiver but came with a different but stock. Not knowing anything about building these I just got a trunnion to match the wood. So its not right exactly but it works great and only the hardcore ak users can tell the difference. Plus I heard its very hard to find the back pad for the yugo.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a fixed stock rifle. I also have an underfolder (Not a Yugo but a Polish), and cheekweld is kinda like shouldering a tennis racket. Looks cool, but is not condusive to accurate shooting. You will be much happier with a fixed stock for a shooter. I have 5 AK's and the underfolder seldom goes to the range if ever.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I wrapped paracord around the metal on ny underfolder and it made a big difference on how the gun felt against my cheek.  It is real comfortable now.  The underfolder seems to fit me better than fixed stocks.  I also removed the black plastic handguards and replaced with wood.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#9]

NICE! that's what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I own both, and both examples are of excellent quality with good even parkerized finishes.  Believe it or not, the underfolder is more comfortable for me to shoot.  Something about the comb on the fixed-stock rifle doesn't agree with my cheek-bone.  It brings tears to my eyes unless I use a cheekweld that's further to the rear of the stock than what I'd like for a good sight picture.  I will say one thing though, the fixed-stock gun is one SOLID rifle!  Although, there is nothing at all flimsy about my underfolder.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I wanted to post an update since my post from 10/21.  I got my M70AB2T underfolder out this weekend and shot it.  It is very comfortable to shoot, though I do recommend wrapping the stock strut with paracord to soften the edges and prevent your cheek from touching hot or cold metal, depending on the weather.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Got this idea from a friend and it works great!!!  Go to Lowes or Home Deport and get some of the pipe insulater form tube that you use to insulate water pipes. I comes as a length of foam tube that you can cut to the length you want. It has a slit on one side and your can just slip it over the bar on the sid eyou shoot with. Very comfortable and you can just slip it on and off when needed.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top