Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2007 2:12:42 PM EDT
After not having an SKS or AK for awhile I'm looking at getting another with the price of 223 going through the roof. I've owned AKs and SKSs in the past and I've enjoyed the feel of the SKS over the AK since I hate the AK stock and I really don't like the AK aftermarket stocks unless I'm willing to drop some money.

I've been looking at the SKS-D and SKS-M models as an alternative. I've heard the Norinco SKSs are some of the best SKSs out there and I can still find the M and D models for around $300. Could anyone tell me about there experiences with them. I want to know about reliability and if they're encountered any problems using standard AK mags.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 4:43:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an SKS-M and they are good rifles if you get one with the AK style mag release. I have seen the ones with the modified standard SKS style mag release, they are somewhat problamatic as to mags.
I think these rifles are way under priced in most cases, if you can get a D or an M for $300.00 I would buy it.
It seems no one takes into consideration how few were actually imported, when they price these fine rifles.

Terry

Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
They are great rifle's if you fix the mag isuue it has. Mine required some minor grinding on the right feed lip of the SKS in order to allow the bolt to function correctly ! If I remember right my gun smithing buddy moded a couple other things to make the gun function flawlessly ! I just can't remember what he did ? I'll ask him and post what he did. They are getting hard to find and if you can get it for a decent price, I would buy it ! Even if it sits, they aren't going to be around forever !
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought my SKS M when they first started importing them in '93 . It has fed every type of ammo I've tried in it (Barnaul, Wolf, Yugo surplus, JHP's, etc) with the exception of East German plastic core.

It has also functioned with every real AK mag I've tried. However, it becomes a jam-o-matic when I try to use the supplied 5 round Norinco magazine. Who wants to use a 5rd AK mag anyway?
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Strat your a lucky man ! Wish mine functioned out of the box like that. But, what the hell, half the fun is tinkering with them any way.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up an unfired SKS D from someone locally this spring.  After learning more about them, I am realizing I got a pretty damn good deal.   I got the rifle, unfired, with 2 brand new 30 round AK mags, sling and owners manual for $225.   I think its one of them guns to hold onto.. you dont come across them often.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a "D" at a recent gun show out of shear facination. A couple of old school gun experts who were standing around at the time got me up to speed. Think about it ...it is a weapon that in original configuration is exempt from 922..it takes standard AK mags and they do not allow them to be imported anymore. Add all that to the usually LOW price and that my friend equals at LEAST value..and at best an investment that will pay off in the future!  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Love the SKS M.

If you find one with the Monte Carlo stock, it has a nice long length of pull for full size Americans. Very comfy.

Mag insertion is an acquired skill.  I have found Chinese AK mags fit best. Others are hit or miss. At $300 I would buy. I have not seen them that cheap.

JR
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I posted this in General Armory before I saw this thread...

Guys - I've been offered a trade for a Norinco SKS D.

I'm ignorant on what I need to look for to ascertain authenticity of the factory D designation.

This rifle in question has a 20" barrel and a bayonet which set off red flags right away. The price also seemed high.

What do I look for to make sure this isn't some converted frankengun, and what's the going rate?

Thanks,

7M3
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top