Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/24/2006 3:37:07 PM EDT
Guys,

I am new to this game and have two SKS's that I am cleaning, refinishing, and hopefully shooting soon. (Thanks Navaho (spelling) for all the advise.)

Anyway, the tool kit that is in the butt contains three tools.  Besides the obvious bore brush, there is what looks like a pick and some tool with striations on the end of it and a hole in the other end (which is a bitch to get the cosomoline out of it).

Can anyone help me with what these other two tools are for and how to use them?

Also, I heard that the cap end of the kit can be used as a bore guide.  What can the other piece of the case be used for?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, the other two tools are a cleaning patch jag and a gas port cleaner.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
How do you use the gas port clearner?

As far as the jag goes, I put a patch on the end of it, think that was what it was, and it wouldn't fit through the barrel with the patch.  Any suggestions?

(what does "IIRC" mean?)

Thanks for the help.

Any ideas on if the second piece of the kit case has a function?

Joe
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 4:12:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Also, I heard that the cap end of the kit can be used as a bore guide. What can the other piece of the case be used for?

The short piece can protect the muzzle end of a standard (no muzzle attachment) SKS.
The longer piece can be used as a handle for the cleaning rod.

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Also, I heard that the cap end of the kit can be used as a bore guide. What can the other piece of the case be used for?

The short piece can protect the muzzle end of a standard (no muzzle attachment) SKS.
The longer piece can be used as a handle for the cleaning rod.

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
 Thank you.  

Anybody else on how to use the gas port tool or suggestions on my issue with the patch jag?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:57:45 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not a gas port tool. It's a pin punch.
I have a gas port tool for an SKS which I bought separately.
The pin punch is used to secure the cleanig rod to the case when it's used as the handle and it also serves as the handle for the gas port tool. It is handy for freeing the cleaning rod from the retainer on the FSB.

I think you probably used a patch that was too big, or too thick. Try using a patch that only wraps around the jag once.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's not a gas port tool. It's a pin punch.
I have a gas port tool for an SKS which I bought separately.
The pin punch is used to secure the cleanig rod to the case when it's used as the handle and it also serves as the handle for the gas port tool. It is handy for freeing the cleaning rod from the retainer on the FSB.

Ahh ok. I thought it had somethin to do with that, but I could never remember. I've got a seperate gas port cleaning tool as well, but I always used the pin punch cause...well it works and it was right there!
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top