Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 10:47:12 AM EDT
theres a small pin on the rear of the gas tube that i need to get off in order to replace the handguard...this thing is impossible if anyone has done this b4 plez tell me what trick i need to do
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#1]
This IS the single hardest job of the Yugo SKS rifle...............and many people here talking about replacing there stocks as if it is a simple task are in for a rude awakening.

To remove this pin is a two man job........... one person has to hold the wood forearm in place over a steel vice, while the second person BANGS away on the PIN. It might take as long as 30 minutes hitting this damn thing to get it to budge........but once it breaks free, you are OK.

Most people opt to buy the metal hinge with roll pin....to install new on there new stocks......that's why you will find these two parts "sold out" on all the websites I have checked. They are claiming to get more in..............we will see.

Good luck----------- but I can't say for certain how much you will need !

JF.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#2]
One side of the pin is flattened(flared) out...you need to drive it from the unflared side. Its really pretty easy to do. From the sounds of it you have been hitting the wrong side and have flattend both sides of the pin. Use a 1/16 inch punch and get it out. You can replace it with a cutdown small nail. Ive did quite a few of them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]
or just buy a new gas tube and save yourself alot of bruised tumbs
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll stick with the punch...much cheaper than buying a gas tube with a handguard on it. Its Chinese so use Chinese parts.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top