Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/16/2006 5:11:22 PM EDT
I have a 1970 Yugo 59/66........... and I am trying to find out if the long gas piston that rides inside the gas tube has some kind of rubber gaskets at the end of the piston ??  My piston has two grooves cut into it like it would hold 2 round rubber gaskets of some kind. Is something missing ...or is this just the way they were made ??   Haven't fired the weapon yet.............. just in the cleaning process.

Thanks for any help you can give about this piston.

JF.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope, no gaskets.  Also be sure that when you raise the gas tube release lever to full vertical to release the gas tube extension and spring, that you put pressure on it from the front.  That thing can shoot a long way and hide.

Also, be sure to clean the bolt assembly well.  The firing pin should rattle back and forth freely (Important safety tip).

Enjoy...These things are a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
theherminator --  Big thanks for your help. These guns have been stored for so long I wasn't sure if mine had all the parts.

I found a special treat buying my Yugo........ I noticed the stock was darker than most on display and was a litttle bit heavier than the other rifles. I liked the grain, so I bought the gun. During the cleaning process I decided to sand some rough spots on the stock....... man. this wood was very hard- I thought. Later that night I was rubbing down the stock after removing most of the cosmoline, and it dawned on me that the wood remined me of my boats decking --Teak wood !  So just for fun I did a Google search on the weapon and to my SURPRISE discovered the Yugo Company that made these rifles back in the 60' and 70's used Teak wood for the stock on rifles being shipped to Africa. Add this to the fact that ALL the parts numbers on this rifle Match........& I think I did real good for $149.00 !!!

Thanks for the tip on the firing pin.......yes mine was frozen from the Cosmoline. Not a good thing.......for someone not paying attention.

JF.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Teak - That's awesome!  Hopefully it is dense enough that it doesn't absorb cosmoline much.  After I thought I had all of the stuff removed I went to the range and shot about 30-40 rounds.  When the barrel and gas tube heated the stock, not only did cosmo come out of all the metal parts, but the wood started sweating grease!

I eventually used the diswasher method to clean it and refinished the stock with tung oil.  It looks much better now.  Not teak, but better than greasewood.

Teak, huh?  $149 huh...I bet you've got a full head of hair too!

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Teak wood is used for boats due to the oil in the wood. This keeps it from rotting in the weather on a boat. I bet the teak didn't absorb much Cosmo due to this.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I won't know how much Cosmoline was absorbed into the Teak wood until I take the weapon to the range for some practice............. and let the rifle sit in the sunlight for awhile. I think I got most of it --- we will see.

I got a good deal for a rifle that was rated Very good............ looking at your shipping box it has a product code. Those marked V is rated very good   X is for excellent    G is for good  This is from the Company CIA. So the $149 is standard price for a rifle rated Very good around here. Now the Teak Stock --- that was a gift

At my age -- no full head of hair, I am afraid.....but I will trade the Teak stock for such......

JF.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top