Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/12/2006 12:24:51 PM EDT
I just bought an SKS. I had another sold it etc etc. Fun to shoot.

I have never until today shot this Yugoslavian SKS.

I just took it apart,cleaned it up,lubed it and put it back together using what I consider a reliable online source. It tore down and went together exactly like the pictures said. I cycled the bolt several times. No binding etc good to go.

The safety is ON!!!!

I load 4 rounds into it.

BTW I live in the country. Neghbors live close on the sides but my backyard is a cornfield that has a very sizeable hill.Its a good backstop if something unexcpected were to happen.The neighbors are cool with limited shooting. I was going to be shooting at the damp ground, there are several trees and its somewhat brushy.Closest house in that general direction is 1/2 mile away or more
Here is where it gets INTERESTING!!!

I let the bolt fly and the SKS rips off 3 rounds!!! The bolt came back and hit my trigger finger at least once.

I am like HOLY ****

Safety is on yet.Finger is nowhere near the trigger.

I am here to tell you it got my attention and quick!!

So whats my next step? What would you do?

I bought the gun from a Farm/Supply/General merchandise store that is a pretty sizeable company located in the Midwest

Thanks guys for any feedback.

Bill/WI
I am open to constructive criticism on this incident.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]
the firing pin is stuck in the forward pistion. clean the firing pin channel. make sure it is in correctly.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Many , if not all, of these rifles were packed in cosmoline for storage. Take the bolt apart and clean it  throughly. Make sure that the hole for the firing pin and the pin itself are completly clean.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
+1

The firing pin should RATTLE in the bolt if you shake it.  Brake cleaner works wonders.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
slam fire!!!

clean the pin area
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Guys!! for the info.

I have been trying to get the retaining pin out of the bolt to no avail.I have tapped on it numerous times and have even got somewhat aggressive with it:) I have been using a punch and hammer.

Is there a "secret" to this?

Bill/WI
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
A punch and a hammer are all you should need.  Do it on a solid base.  Metal with a hole for the pin works best.  If you're trying to punch it out using a wood base that could be causing your problems.

Murrays Guns sells a modified firing pin with a spring that prevents the pin from sticking, if you are worried about this happening again.  FYI, the SKS is designed for cartridges with mil-spec primers (like Wolf).  These primers are harder than american loads.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just bought an SKS. I had another sold it etc etc. Fun to shoot.

I let the bolt fly and the SKS rips off 3 rounds!!! The bolt came back and hit my trigger finger at least once.

You better watch out, the BATF may deem cosmoline holding the firing pin forward a "Machine Gun"

The only other thing I can think of, aside from what the others have posted, is that your firing pin could be rusted (i.e. frozen) in the forward position just enough to slam fire a round.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I was using a hammer and a Starrett punch and mine wouldn't come out at first.  (of course I'm tool poor and was resting it on piece of 2x4)  I soaked it with WD40 overnight and it came loose the next day.  Hose it down with a penetrating lubricant and let it sit a while, then try again.  I ended up flaring the tip of my punch before it came out.

Quoted:

I have been trying to get the retaining pin out of the bolt to no avail.I have tapped on it numerous times and have even got somewhat aggressive with it:) I have been using a punch and hammer.

Bill/WI

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A punch and a hammer are all you should need.  Do it on a solid base.  Metal with a hole for the pin works best.  If you're trying to punch it out using a wood base that could be causing your problems.

Murrays Guns sells a modified firing pin with a spring that prevents the pin from sticking, if you are worried about this happening again.  FYI, the SKS is designed for cartridges with mil-spec primers (like Wolf).  These primers are harder than american loads.

You have got to watch the video clip of himslamming his spring loaded FP and then a standered FP...That sold me
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Bill/WI

Somewhat aggressive to me means a punch and a 2lb hammer.  I opened my vice just enough to put the pin between the jaws with the bolt on top than whacked the crap out of it.

Of course putting that firing pin back in upside down will give you the same thrill at the range the next time too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Your firing pin assembly needs a good cleaning. If you can't  take it apart try soaking it in Orderless Mineral Sprits overnight. It will soften  the stuff up a and rinse clean.

You should hear the pin it rattle inside when your are done.

Read everthing SKS related on this site, lots of good information

www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp

Enjoy
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I have found that placing the little tube that sticks out of the nozzle of a can of Gunscrubber or brake cleaner, fits rite into or just over the firing pin hole. A few squirts in the hole, and a paper towel or rag on the other end, and that usually clears it out quite well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]
set the bolt assy upright in the oven at 250 degress for an hour.  all that cosmo will melt out.  make sure you set something underneath it so you don't drip.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#14]
You have cosmo stuck in the firing pin channel, locking the pin forward.
This is causing the slam fires.
It happens.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:13:24 AM EDT
[#15]
spray brake cleaner into the firing pin channel to wash the shit out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Bill/WI

Screw the "Tapping".  Hit the damn thing.

I had to hit mine with a 2 lb brass hammer 10 or 11 times just to get it to start moving.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep spray brake cleaner in the bolt until the pin will rattle when you shake it.  There was an unfortunate fellow down here about 10 years ago who let the charging handle go on a brand new SKS with a full mag.  The rifle went full auto and flew out of his hands.  It spun in mid air and the last round went through his head.  Obviously he did not survive.  Now we are forced to insert one round in the chamber when shooting at this range... no magazines allowed.  With an AK this is more dangerous than a full mag.  

Clean and inspect everything before firing it for the first time. Also, only load one round at first, and then two... then three....then go for it.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#18]
You should not load the rifle again until you have the bolt properly apart, and have the firing pin and it's channel cleaned out thoroughly.

Penetrating oils.  Wooden braces.  Big Fucking Hammers.  Whatever you have to do to get that damn pin out (and it IS a bitch, innit?) so you can clean the thing out right, you gotta do it.  You're not going to hurt it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#19]
The lesson here is to only load one round when shooting a new gun. ANY new gun.  Shit happens.

rj
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Glad I read this.

I just bought a used YUGO this weekend, I'll be sure to clean the Bolt & FP thoroughly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#21]
DAMN!!

That thing is a B-I-T-C-H to get apart.

Glad I still had a piece of tool steel to set it on. Wood didn't work.

Well, I didn't set it directly on the tool steel. I had a piece of 1/8" brass that I set it on atop the tool steel and was hitting the punch with a copper hammer so I wouldn't cause damage to the bolt.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#22]
i never took mine apart, just let it soak in gasoline for a while then sprayed it out with carb cleaner  mine works good
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if Marshhawk ever got his issue resolved?

Yesterday, there was a guy at the range who was complaining that his Yugo SKS was having feeding/ejection problems.  I go to look at his rifle and notice that he is using those 5 and 40 round duckbill mags.  I told him that duckbill mags were notorious for feeding problems, and he would have much better results with the 10 round fixed box.  I also warned him that his rifle may be illegal due to the fact that he changed its configuration from the initial imported configuration (imported rifle with detachable mags in excess of 10 rounds is a no-no).  After I told him that, he wanted to argue with me saying that the dealer told him it was okay to do that, and that is when I walked away without telling him that his gas tube was shut off.    
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top