Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/27/2006 4:42:28 PM EDT
Hi All,

Looking into getting an SKS. Want it unissued, and of highest quality possible. Which is the best one to get?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I think your best bet for unissued is to find a Yugo.  I'm not sure where they are now,  but they seemed to be all over the place about 6 months ago when I got mine.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I know the Yugos do not have chrome barrels. Does this impair their quality, reliability, or accuracy at all?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know the Yugos do not have chrome barrels. Does this impair their quality, reliability, or accuracy at all?

Are you planning on shooting corrosive ammo?
If it is a new unissued one you get than the reliabity should be fine.
Accuracy will not be impaired negatively if you buy an unissued one.

They are about $160.00.  Get one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#4]

I bought mine from Inter Ordnance. Both were quite nice. I've heard good and bad about the company, but I'd buy from them again.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bought mine from Inter Ordnance. Both were quite nice. I've heard good and bad about the company, but I'd buy from them again.

I bought a couple from them as well.  No problems.  I got the unissued ones and IIRC they were $147.50 each.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Still plenty of unfired Chinese AKs and SKSs available...go with the Chinese.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a Yugo SKS last Sunday for about $159. The dealer said it was unisued, but I knew a little bit about what to look for. The rifle was rebuilt, but it looks very nice and it looks to have a new stock as well as barrel. Gonna have fun scraping off the copious amounts of cosmoline, though. Here's a picture:
http://toponeraegunbuster.com/01.jpg
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#8]
If your looking for a quality SKS I would go Norinco or Russian. They will be used but so are the Yugos unissued or not. I have seen a number of very nice SKS rifles for sale at gun shows which look to be like new. I got a Yugo SKS to add to my collection for the war history. The bore basically sucks and its not chrome lined. Overall I am not impressed with the rifle but for 90.00 I found it hard  to not add it to the collection. If your looking for a shooter then its a good buy. If your looking for a really nice rifle then its the wrong item.

Ian
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Well really the only for sale by retailers  "unissued" sks rifles would be yugo. Get a Chinese from a shop or show that looks good. Well built chrome lined barrel which is a plus.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top