Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/26/2006 12:06:40 PM EDT
the topic says it all. sorry if this is a repeat.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#1]
give it to me....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
give it to me....

I need to buy a bridge. You got one?    
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the topic says it all. sorry if this is a repeat.

I just used HOT water and Dawn followed by a good cleaning with oil and bore scrubber.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to hardware store get 'Orderless Mineral Sprits' , 'Plastic Wallpaper tray', '0000 fine steel wool', 'acid brushes', 'old toothbrush', 'optional tung oil for wood

Diassemble SKS
Use Heat gun if needed to 'strech' tray long enough, if a Yugo.
put all steel parts in tray
cover steel parts with OMS
let it soak 1 hour or more...the longer you soak the easier to remove....I soak overnight
use brush to clean

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING; best to take apart firing pin assembly, but if you can't or don't, make sure you can hear the pin rattle freely inside the housing. This will prevent slam fire incidents. Old cosmo will dry and cause the firing pin to stick!!!!!!

use 0000 fine steel wool to 'lightly' clean any surface rust off, DO NOT srub!

use 1/2 OMS and 1/2 Tung oil to treat the wood. the OMS removes the Cosmo, but the tung oil treats it. After wood is clean let it dry.

Use 400 grit to remove humidty swelling  from the grain of the wood and any defect. Also any 'crush spots can be 'steamed out' with your clothing iron. just use on high heat with lots of steam to force steam to "re-swell"  the crushed wood.

After sanding to whatever finsh level you want use tung oil to protect and finish.

Make sure you treat the steel inside and out.

Enjoy the complements and the fun of blasting away with a heck of a weapon.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Break cleaner for the metal.  The cosmo will just melt off.  150* in the oven for the wood and whipe it off every fifteen minutes or so until it stops seeping out.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#6]
or dishwasher it all
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I was a mechanic in a previous life so I used carb cleaner on all the metal parts (more aggressive on grease than brake cleaner) and alternated with stripper and thinner to clean the wood.  That cleaned things up great, oiled all the metal parts, tung oiled the stock inside and out several times.  Good to go.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#8]
     all good ideas. I like atf (auto tranny oil.), is cheeper than most chemicals and it works.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
or dishwasher it all

It works, I did it
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#10]
A couple of things not mentioned...

1. The local car wash. I did this yesterday and it worked fine on the surface cosmo. You obviously can't get the inside stuff, but it takes the gunk off the outside so you can at least handle the rifle.

2. A hand held steam cleaner. I haven't tried this but heard it works great. They operate a 180 degrees.

3. Boiling water (metal only). I had mixed sucess with this. It does remove cosmo but you still need to brush it off. I tried just boiling some of the main parts (trigger group, bolt, etc).

Hot, soapy dish water seems to work well if trying to avoid chemicals (like me).

The one I did yesterday was car wash, then break down and wipe with paper towels, then hot soapy dishwater, then a Break Free qtip wipedown. Even after the wash and scrub, there is stuff left. So, some chemical (or a steam cleaner) will be need to get the rest. Although I heard even steam cleaning leaves stuff behind. The bore was hit with Shooter's Choice. It is one of my favorite bore cleaners and made quick work of the cosmo. Once I got that crap out of the bbl, you wouldn't believe the shine. One of the nicest bores I have seen.

I'm going to do the stock today. I will most likely use Simple Green as I heard it works well.  Tung Oil to be applied when dry.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
or dishwasher it all

It works, I did it

+2.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I just used Denatured Alcohol on my that I just picked up, it seemed to work OK. There wasn't too much cosmo on it but it still needed a cleaning.

If any one has a suggestion on how to clean the WOOD I'd be thankful.

Murphy's oil and soapy water was suggested to me.

Here's a before pic, sorry I don't have an after.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Update...

Broke the bolt apart today and used mineral spirits...worked quite well indeed. I hate using chemicals if not necessary, but this is the way to go.

As for the stock, I used Ajax liquid dish soap with very hot tap water. Didn't work that well. I didn't totally fill the bucket (only submerged about 1/3 of stock at a time), but even the parts of the stock totally submerged didn't seem to clean that well on the interior. It did clean up some stuff with the use of a plastic brush, but I still scraped a lot of cosmo out of the interior with a screwdriver when done.

I think it may be good enough to move forward with tung oil if dry tomorrow. We will see.

All the metal is done now and actually came out well using only hot soapy water and Break Free (except for the bolt of course).

After a close inspection this evening, this thing was only test fired. There are no signs of any significant use at all. No log book, but who cares. I can't wait to see how it shoots. I'm out of town starting Sunday, so I'll have to wait a while. hinking.gif

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#14]
usmarine1108 knows the drill! brake cleaner. works well on stock and metal parts.i sell these guns all day long but not before the brake cleaner treatment.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top