Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 9:47:53 PM EDT
Let's suppose the proper number of U.S. parts would be used to satisfy 922r--(floorplates and followers maybe? I don't even know if this is feasible, I'm just trying to come up with possible ideas)and that high cost is not an issue--could an SKS in theory be modified to accept AK47 magazines?

I realize this and the duckbill mag question have probably been beat to death, and that there are Norinco models out there factory made to take AK mags, but they would look so much better with the orginal stock and with the bayonet.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:30:04 AM EDT
[#1]
just buy a ak then or a sks that takes them stock, no point in ruining a good rifle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
just buy a ak then or a sks that takes them stock, no point in ruining a good rifle.

Why is it ruining it though? People modify surplus military bolt-action rifles by "sporterizing" them and this seems generally acceptable--personally I think doing something like THAT is ruining a gun.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

SKS rifles that take AK mags (SKS Ds I think) cost more than AKs.  As far as conversion I have been told eventually they crap out and will not feed, by multiple souces.  SKS duckbil mags are crapp too.  Buy a long barreled AK the AES-10 from CAI is supposed to go around $500 when it ships.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
go to www.simonov.net/magazines.htm and look at the bottom of the page for AK magazine coversion kit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
go to www.simonov.net/magazines.htm and look at the bottom of the page for AK magazine coversion kit.

Thank you for this info.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
What ever happened to the SKS conversion kits that replace the stock magazine with a magwell that excepts AK mags?  I went in on an SKS with a bud for $69 at a gunshow and picked with the conversion kit at the same time.  Took about 5 minutes to install.  Worked fine for a slong as we shit it.

Randall
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
/sarcasem on

I believe the slong was an anchient decented of the emu, and he wishes to crap out the remains after eating it.

/off

i think he ment to say: "Worked fine for as long as we shot it."
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I've done it, and I got a Yugo converted overseas for AK mags also

Trickiest part for me was modifying mag catch, other than that easy

But I agree-why do it???   When I did it, AKs were harder to find/pricey

I also have a dozen SKS's, so experimenting on one was fine w/me

But I say the 20 round 'star' fixed mag is what I recommend....

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
a conversion kit? according to the link above you have to grind open the sks mag well . i know that neither of my russians will take an ak mage in the mag well . wouldnt want them to either .
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top