Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/23/2006 1:57:07 PM EDT
I got my SKS scope kit in from Centerfire today. It's the type with the see through mount (So you can use  the iron sights too.) that replaces the stock reciever cover. I was worried that perhaps it would have play in it that would spoil achieving a good zero. But it fits my Yugo SKS great! In fact, the retaining pin fits it snugger than my original cover. I had use a little hammer to lightly tap the pin inwards the last 1/8" as I couldn't quite get it with finger pressure. The 4x scope is nice for a $35 kit. The whole thing took ten minutes to install and set up. The scope is very light and the extra steel in the mount isn't noticeable. The Yugo is a beefy rifle already.
Being quite far sighted, I have trouble with iron sights. Depending on my glasses, I can get a good sight picture and fuzzy target or visa versa. Can't have both. But the scope allows both easily.
I'll stop at the range tomorrow for a little testing. I'll let y'all know how it works. It feels great holding it and sighting through it. Good eye relief and a bright sight picture. And it's a dark day today. Can't wait to try it out!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Had fun at the range today. Its an indoor range. Just 27 yds. But good for an initial sighting in.
It started out shooting 18" high and 18" to the right! Yeesh! I was winding up those adjustments two turns at a time to walk the rounds back into the target. But it was fun to sight it in.
I shot from the standing position. Used the sling to brace myself. By the time I had it all set, I could group a full clip w/i a 3" wide area. Maybe not a tack driver, but I could beat the heck up out of an old silver dollar. Not bad for an unsteady beat up old fat guy with a C&R carbine. ;-)
This was alot of fun to be able to see the target so clearly like that! (I'm far sighted. Old eyes!) So it was well worth  the $35 for the kit. Ran another 120 rnds through the Yugo today. Still flawless! That's 620 rnds so far and no failures of any sort.
I wish I'd bought an SKS years ago. This is really a comfortable gun to shoot!
Once my C&R license gets here I may have to snap up another and just put it away for someday. I really like this gun!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the post Side.
I'm looking into getting the same setup for a SKS I have.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad it's working out for ya.  I could never get one to stay on zero after removing the cover for cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there anyone else who sells this same scope kit at or near the same price???  What a crock of shit.. I tried to order an sks sling, the scope mount, and 2 mags for my ak.  It said you must be 21 years of age or older to order and you must send a copy of your id.  So I called them up, wondering why they wouldnt sell me this stuff when it is perfectly legal for me to buy these items.  I am 20 years old, so I can legally buy rifles, rifle parts, rifle ammunition, and shotguns.  I know about the FFL and all that, but I wasnt even trying to buy a firearm.. Just a scope, a sling, and a couple mags.  I called them up and the lady was quite rude to me. She said it has nothing to do with laws, its our company policy to only sell to individuals aged 21 and over because of columbine and all that... Are you freakin kidding me?? Ive been out of high school for almost 3 years and im 6 months away from turning 21... What a crock of shit omg!! I am pissed....  Ive never seen a company refuse business that is perfectly legal like this.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Is this the exact same scope right here???  IF it is, then im buying

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Sighting_Systems_SKS.html
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Another question I have is do the casings hit the scope when they are ejected, and can you still load it with stripper clips?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Being 20 sucks... I have the full responsibilities of any other adult.... but when it comes to the fun stuff, like alcohol, gambling and guns (handguns and the centerfire website)... I'm just a kid.. What is this hypocritical bs.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Another question I have is do the casings hit the scope when they are ejected, and can you still load it with stripper clips?

I have the same mount , but with a 6x32 Leapers scope. Casings don't hit mine. And I can load with stripper clips and still have good eye relief. Iv'e dealt with Centerfire Systems and had no problems at all. That's a bum policy they have.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the same mount , but with a 6x32 Leapers scope. Casings don't hit mine. And I can load with stripper clips and still have good eye relief. Iv'e dealt with Centerfire Systems and had no problems at all. That's a bum policy they have.

Well I ordered that one from aimsurplus... Because I didnt want towait till I turn 21... I hope its the same or similar..
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#10]
No problems with casings hitting my scope. The gun always throws them up and forward.
There seem to be many vendors carrying this scope set up. Some have the see through mount, some don't. I think it makes sense to get the see through mount myself.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top