Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/10/2006 4:52:15 PM EDT
I'm refinishing my stock on my SKS, and just got done with the fourth coat, and I'm not really liking it.  It's not the color I dislike; it just looks sloppy I guess.  Take note this is my first wood project I ever attempted.

This is what I did:

I first used the dishwasher method to clean and strip the stock.
Then I sanded with 150 sandpaper.
Then used Miniwax pre-stain wood conditioner.
Following that I applied my first coat of Miniwax Polyshades (The kind with stain and polyurethane in one bottle) using a foam brush.

After allowing one coat to dry 6-9 hours I then would apply another and stopped on the fourth.
This is where I'm at now.  The shine just doesn't look as good as some on the pic thread, and I found some areas where the stain is some what not even.

Reason for this perhaps is I would stain one side of the stock at a time, so I could lay the other side down and allow to dry.

What did I do wrong?  Any advice would be helpful.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Go plastic!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Rub with fine steel wool between coats.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top