Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/9/2006 12:15:29 AM EDT
I recently bought a Yugo SKS and the wood is looking a little rough after I cleaned the cosmo off.
I'm going to refinish the wood, possibly red cherry satin.  I'm also having the grenade launcher taken off, and ordering a muzzle break for it.  

I'm thinking this could look good, but I also like the original rough look it has.  What do you guys think?  Refinish the wood and stain it cherry satin, along with the muzzle brake, or leave it alone?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I recently bought a Yugo SKS and the wood is looking a little rough after I cleaned the cosmo off.
I'm going to refinish the wood, possibly red cherry satin.  I'm also having the grenade launcher taken off, and ordering a muzzle break for it.  

I'm thinking this could look good, but I also like the original rough look it has.  What do you guys think?  Refinish the wood and stain it cherry satin, along with the muzzle brake, or leave it alone?

The G/l functions as a muzzle brake already...(pretty sure). Someday you might come across a box of 22mm grenades. Someday.

I'd stain it blonde, because it would look so groovy with a blonde stock. Refinish the metal, and as long as it has a good, clean bore, you've got your self a fine Looter shooter.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, for some reason I didn't think of rebluing it.  Hmmm...that blonde with refinished metal would be pretty sexy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Try this for your stock - it worked very well for me -- Linky.  I used this method, did some fine sanding, and finished with several thin hand-rubbed coats of Minwax clear polyurethane using 0000 steel wool between coats.

I bought a M59 Yugo.  IMHO, the grenade launcher is worthless and only adds excess weight and length to the SKS.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top