Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 11:13:52 PM EDT
By throwing it in the mud, water, bump-firing, etc?

I've heard they are very reliable, next to the AK but not too close.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
very tuff. had mine strapped to the four wheeler, it fell off on the trail, when i went back to find it she's laying in the blackest mud i've ever seen. i fish it out and procede to my destination, when i get there i shoved a peice of my t-shirt down the barrel (cleaning rod attached to rifle= good idea) clean the bulk  mud out, dunked it in the river and told my buddy to "watch this", his jaw dropped.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
very tuff. had mine strapped to the four wheeler, it fell off on the trail, when i went back to find it she's laying in the blackest mud i've ever seen. i fish it out and procede to my destination, when i get there i shoved a peice of my t-shirt down the barrel (cleaning rod attached to rifle= good idea) clean the bulk  mud out, dunked it in the river and told my buddy to "watch this", his jaw dropped.  

Hehe, I guess that takes care of that. I've always wondered though, is it better to replace the wooden stock with a chicom jungle stock so to get rid of the possibility of the stock swelling up when wet?

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
never been an issue. don't fix it if it is'nt broke.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one that I replaced the stock with an after market one made by Ram Line.  I treated it like a three dollar mexican whore.  Never cleaned it or any thing.  It ate every thing I fed it.

Sold it to a coworker that needed a good reliable closet gun for her house in the woods for 50 bucks.

I gave it a good cleaning before I gave it to her though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
never been an issue. don't fix it if it is'nt broke.

+1.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I once shot my Norinco SKS until it turned red near the chamber and muzzle and I have two witnesses who will attest to the fact that my rifle did indeed turn red and start smoking that summer day over ten years ago.  I used a ton of stripper clips and had a tool to press the ammo into the fixed box because I didn't want to burn the hell out of my thumb.  After 100 rounds the Norinco SKS was too damn hot to reload.  The only malfunction that I have to report is that the rifle did not eject well at the 400 round mark while smoking and red.  Between the 400 and 500 round mark, I had about ten failure to ejects, and I stopped at 500 rounds because I was getting tired of dropping the cleaning rod down the barrel to loosen the stuck casing (and I needed oven mits to handle the rifle).  I did cut down a couple of small trees in the process with my Norinco Steel Core ammo on that very day ten years ago.  I also received a visit from a Sheriff's Deputy who asked what in the hell we were doing to which my response was "target shooting".

Fast forward to now, boy if I had only known back then to SAVE at least ONE case of Norinco ammo in sealed cans for SHTF days rather than wasting it to torture my little $90 gun.  That is what I get for thinking that I would always be able to purchase cheap 7.62X39mm ammo while depleting my supply down to nothing.  Sadly, Hurricane Rita took my remaining 700 rounds by putting them underwater for over 72 hours.  About 500 rounds were salvaged, but I have no idea as to how they will shoot since they were under water for so long.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I once shot my Norinco SKS until it turned red near the chamber and muzzle and I have two witnesses who will attest to the fact that my rifle did indeed turn red and start smoking that summer day over ten years ago.  I used a ton of stripper clips and had a tool to press the ammo into the fixed box because I didn't want to burn the hell out of my thumb.  After 100 rounds the Norinco SKS was too damn hot to reload.  The only malfunction that I have to report is that the rifle did not eject well at the 400 round mark while smoking and red.  Between the 400 and 500 round mark, I had about ten failure to ejects, and I stopped at 500 rounds because I was getting tired of dropping the cleaning rod down the barrel to loosen the stuck casing (and I needed oven mits to handle the rifle).  I did cut down a couple of small trees in the process with my Norinco Steel Core ammo on that very day ten years ago.  I also received a visit from a Sheriff's Deputy who asked what in the hell we were doing to which my response was "target shooting".

Fast forward to now, boy if I had only known back then to SAVE at least ONE case of Norinco ammo in sealed cans for SHTF days rather than wasting it to torture my little $90 gun.  That is what I get for thinking that I would always be able to purchase cheap 7.62X39mm ammo while depleting my supply down to nothing.  Sadly, Hurricane Rita took my remaining 700 rounds by putting them underwater for over 72 hours.  About 500 rounds were salvaged, but I have no idea as to how they will shoot since they were under water for so long.

Wonder if that SKS still has any rifling left

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Not an SKS, but My SAR1
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a milled Norinco with a chrome lined bore, so it should have rifling left.  I shot it once after the "red" incident, and the gun was shooting way high @ 100 yards.  I believe it is because (1)  I added a pinned on muzzle brake and didn't resight afterwards OR (2) I FUBAR'd the barrel.

I am planning on taking the rifle out this weekend to see how it shoots without the muzzle brake.  Hopefully, it works fine.  If not, I either messed something up when pinning/unpinning the brake, OR, I burned the barrel 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a milled Norinco with a chrome lined bore, so it should have rifling left.  I shot it once after the "red" incident, and the gun was shooting way high @ 100 yards.  I believe it is because (1)  I added a pinned on muzzle brake and didn't resight afterwards OR (2) I FUBAR'd the barrel.

I am planning on taking the rifle out this weekend to see how it shoots without the muzzle brake.  Hopefully, it works fine.  If not, I either messed something up when pinning/unpinning the brake, OR, I burned the barrel 10 years ago.

Sounds like you just created yourself a loaner rifle

Or a 100$ SKS special
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Anyone want to borrow it? It is a real

Or a 100$ SKS special

Imagine that, the gun cost $96, I abuse the hell out of it, and I probably could still find someone to give me $100 for it.  

Seriously though, one of the guys who was with me on that very day offered to buy it from me last time he was in from offshore (about three weeks ago).  I told him that I was not going to do anything until I test fired it again, and I still haven't test fired it yet.  The last time I brought it to my local indoor range, they didn't have any 7.62x39 ammo available for use on "their" range, so I did not shoot it.  Because they sell their brass to a reloading company, they won't let anyone shoot Wolf, CCI Blazer, or any other non-brass cased ammo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone want to borrow it? It is a real

Or a 100$ SKS special

Imagine that, the gun cost $96, I abuse the hell out of it, and I probably could still find someone to give me $100 for it.  

Seriously though, one of the guys who was with me on that very day offered to buy it from me last time he was in from offshore (about three weeks ago).  I told him that I was not going to do anything until I test fired it again, and I still haven't test fired it yet.  The last time I brought it to my local indoor range, they didn't have any 7.62x39 ammo available for use on "their" range, so I did not shoot it.  Because they sell their brass to a reloading company, they won't let anyone shoot Wolf, CCI Blazer, or any other non-brass cased ammo.

Give it to lootie !

My range doesn't give me any trouble when I shoot wolf.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Honestly the sks is way stronger than the ak mainly because the sks is all milled and I stepped on my wasr and bent the flashing they us as a receiver  it doesnt fire anymorehink
I hate the ak compaired to the sks

the only ak worth the price is the old russian milled akm which you cant find and the yugo milled ak but they still only have a 16" barrel which adds like 3" to the moa
20" sks = 2 1/4 moa @150 yards
16" ak = 4-5 " moa at 150 yards

which would you want?

the sks!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Honestly the sks is way stronger than the ak mainly because the sks is all milled and I stepped on my wasr and bent the flashing they us as a receiver  it doesnt fire anymore

I think the ak should be sold for $under $200 and the sks should have the $350 price

I hate the ak compaired to the sks

the only ak worth the price is the old russian milled akm which you cant find and the yugo milled ak but they still only have a 16" barrel which adds like 3" to the moa
20" sks = 2 1/4 moa @150 yards
16" ak = 4-5 " moa at 150 yards

which would you want?

the sks!!!!!!!!!!

I'll still take the AK, mainly because the SKS's fixed 10 rd mag. The AK is still capable of hitting man-sized targets at 200 yards and harrasing fire at 300.

Although right now I only own an SKS, it's my favorite so far. Like it better than my M1. (unless the zombies hang out around the 500 yard mark then it's off for the M1 I go..)

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#15]
yeah but thin about the sks model d  with chinese made drums and mags? the euro mags and drums are a loose most of the time
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
yeah but thin about the sks model d  with chinese made drums and mags? the euro mags and drums are a loose most of the time

Only SKS I'd take over a stamped AK.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Give it to lootie !

No need to give my SKS to lootie.  That gun is dead on accurate now that the muzzle brake has been removed.  I should have known because it appeared that the bullet was grazing the muzzle brake and I only noticed this AFTER removing it.  Oh well, live and learn...  If MY SKS were meant to have a muzzle brake, it would have come with one!  It is quite amazing how I have matured over the years !  

Now I sit here with one torture tested SKS that hasn't been shot in almost 9 years, still functions the same as it did 9 years ago, except now it is accurate as can be.  I need to tell my buddy that if he wants it, he will have to cough up the bread BUT I probably will keep it now because I only get rid of guns that DON'T WORK!  I just couldn't let this one go without knowing what went wrong .

My range doesn't give me any trouble when I shoot wolf.

I have to drive 1.5 hours, one way, to get to an indoor range that allows me to shoot steel cased ammo OR 45 minutes, wait 30 to 45 minutes for a lane, only to be given 15 minutes to shoot at one of the nearby public ranges .
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:02:22 AM EDT
[#18]
two friend and I went through a little over 1500 rds in about 90 mins. We each had our own. The paint on the handguard on my friends started to smoke. I got about 6 stovepipes in the last 50 or so rds.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:07:01 AM EDT
[#19]
To answer the question ak vs sks,I would rather have the sks.
-longer barrel/site radius
-no mag to loose in the field
-fairly quick reloads with stripper clips
-bolt hold open on last shot
-open action/reciever to more easily clear jams

IMHO the only real advantage the ak has is higher mag capacity,maybe a slight edge in reliability but not much.I know I wouldnt feel undergunned with an sks and a bandoleer of ammo on stripper clips.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#20]
i have bump fired my yugo(completly stock 55/66), and my norinco (with a 30 rnd mag) both quite a few times each, and they seem to be holding up perfectly fine!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I shot about 1000 rounds of chek out of my Tula, with variations of bumpfiring, slow, and rapid fire.  It shot fine with the factory 10rd magazine, but with the 30round mags it would hang up once a mag or so.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I once shot my Norinco SKS until it turned red near the chamber and muzzle and I have two witnesses who will attest to the fact that my rifle did indeed turn red and start smoking that summer day over ten years ago.  .

and you didn't have any rounds cook-off when you chambered them? hmmm
and yeah, i miss that steel core Norinco ammo too!  we used to disintigrate cinderblocks with that stuff..lol

i've never personally conducted a torture test of these weapons, but friends and i have beat the ever loving sh*t out of them on more than one occasion. They're a hell of alot more fun to tote around than any .22 and pack a heck of a wallop..especially on unruly beavers and nutria
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

and you didn't have any rounds cook-off when you chambered them? hmmm
and yeah, i miss that steel core Norinco ammo too!  we used to disintigrate cinderblocks with that stuff..lol

i've never personally conducted a torture test of these weapons, but friends and i have beat the ever loving sh*t out of them on more than one occasion. They're a hell of alot more fun to tote around than any .22 and pack a heck of a wallop..especially on unruly beavers and nutria

No rounds cooked off that I can recall, so I must have been lucky

Sadly, I never had the pleasure of wasting cinder blocks with my Steel Core Ammo BUT I had fun cutting down small trees with my SKS when I lived in the country many moons ago.  I found it amazing how the bullets just zipped right through the trunk of a tree that I could barely put my arms around.

With that said, BRING BACK NORINCO AMMO!!!  Okay, I got that out of my system.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top