Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2005 12:10:54 PM EDT
hey all,
I just picked up a used norinco sks. looks to be in good condition. i'm just about to give it a cleaning but I cant get the recever cover off. I've checked the surplusrifle.com and am following there directions. the mag is hanging out, the recever cover pin is in the 7 oclock position and pulled out. it wont go any further. can anyone please help me out?
thanks
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Turn the pin, while pulling on it to make sure its all the way out. If it is, smack the cover toward the  back of the rifle with the palm of your hand.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info. I got it off and cleaned finally. does anyone know of a good way to refinish the metal and the wood of these guns? the rifle looks ok now but the finish is almost totaly off the recever cover. it looks like it;s polished chrome. same as the bolt carrier. the wood is in excellent condition. it's a reg type norinco. seems to have some low serial #'s on it. only  750,XXX. is that an older modle?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:54:35 AM EDT
[#3]
went to the range yesterday to shoot off a few rounds. not bad for cheap rifle. anyway, I found out that after every few rounds the front site post would spin a bit changing where the impact was going to be. it seems to spin just by taping it. no tool needed. is there anyway to tighten it without changing the where the bullet will land? any info would help
thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Set the front post where you would like it.  (zero it).  Go to Autozone or similar parts store and purchase blue loctite, apply as directed.  If it backs loose try the next strength (I think it is red.)

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Better to use Loctite "Afterlock". You can put it on the sightpost after you have it set and it'll penetrate  the threads and then gum up. Holds the same as the blue, but you won't have to take it out to apply it to the threads.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top