Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 5:36:08 AM EDT
I have Nornico Chi com standard - would like to make it even more handy.

What are the rules/regs/laws for putting a folding stock on?

Do they work good?

Thanks,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Can only legally put one on a gun that was imported before Nov 1990.

GO    HERE

EXPLANATION:  On July 7th, 1989 various military style rifles were banned from importation by the Secretary of the Treasury.  Listed was the "SKS style rifle with folding stock, folding bayonet, or detachable magazine.  Pre-ban or not, it is illegal to install a folder on a long gun with a detachable magazine.  However, if the rifle had a folding stock and detachable installed BEFORE date of the ban, it can legally keep the folding stock.   Of course, provided there is some sort of PROOF the rifle is indeed 'PRE-BAN' and the folding stock was attached before Nov 1990.  Please see the PRE-BAN DEBUNKED section at the bottom of this article for more on this topic.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully we'll see more US-made parts.  Replace enough components, and 922(r) no longer applies.
www.simonov.net/10orlessrule.htm
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Am I reading this right?

A SKS with a folding ATI Ultralight folding stock, fixed US made magazine, and WITH the bayonet lug, but no bayonet:  This is a US made SKS as it has exactly 10 imported parts.  It is also 922(r) legal as it does not have a detachable magazine.  One can have as many listed features as wanted on their sporting rifle.

So change out the magazine (all I want/need is the orginal design inblock 10 anyway), then I can have my folding stock?

Thanks,

Badredfish

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The stock(and folder) and hand guard count as 3, op rod, gas piston, and gas tube. That gets you to 6 US parts. I think as long as you do not put in a 30 rd mag(or detachable) you can use the folder with just those parts. Oh, you can change  to a MOJO or Williams peep site too, that takes you to 7 Us parts.( If not do a search and dig up the rest of the parts to get your count down to the limit)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:52:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top