Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/24/2005 11:27:02 PM EDT
My new unissued/mint Yugo M59/66 keeps jaming on me. When I fire it the round on the right side of the mag keeps getting hung up on the edge of the barrel where the feed ramp should be. The round on the left side is high enough to clear that flat part where the chamber begins and the barrel ends if you can picture that. It hangs up with hollow points every time but only half the time with ball. What do I need to do to fix this? Can I use a Dremel Tool and grind in a feed ramp so the bullet slides up instead of slamming into the squard off barrel end?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#2]
It looks like the area where the feed ramp should be is squared off and instead of sliding up and into the chamber the bullet hits a flat wall. It appears that I would have to remove A LOT of steel to shape any kind of ramp. I don't think polishing will be enough but I could be wrong.

How should I go about doing this? Should I grind/file the square edge down and then highly polish it? What tool would be best for this? Thank you!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
It goes without saying,make sure you cleaned all the cosmoline from the gas system/valve/and the small piston/spring inside the rear sight assembly.If the action isnt cycling correctly,this can cause jams.The sks dosnt really have a feedramp,IMHO grinding a ramp will only treat the symptom,not the problem.I would also look at the lips of the magazine,possibly compare the mag to another one.Also you didnt say,but you arent using an aftermarket highcap mag are you?The sks rifle is very reliable with the factory 10 round mag,but the highcaps are kind of spotty.Good luck,let us know when you find the answer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Is your recoil spring in the right way (squigly end into the bolt carrier.)? I put mine in the wrong way one time and it did that every so often. PLEASE, DO NOT grind a feed ramp! Not to doubt your grinding expertise, IMHO I think more harm would be done than good and you would most likely ruin a GOOD rifle! Also, do and once over and check for cosmo that you may have missed. Hope this helps ya!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Have any luck yet
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have not yet been to the range again with this SKS. I did play with it and it seem that the fixed mag in not pushing the right side bullet high enough to clear the flat part of the barrel just before the chamber. The flat nose of the hollow points are just wide enough to catch that flat spot. Ball feeds fine. That is why I though grinding just a tad on the end of the barrel/chamber would give it enough clearance to fee the HP's. When  I get the time I'll bring it to my gun smith for his advice. Right now I have several other guns to play with! Thank you!

P.S If it is the stock fixed magazine causing the bullet to sit to low how do I fix that?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#7]
its probably a magazine problem, try buying a used yugo-fixed-magazine. my romy did that when i used a 30 rnd on it, then i had to put back on my original mag.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
its probably a magazine problem, try buying a used yugo-fixed-magazine. my romy did that when i used a 30 rnd on it, then i had to put back on my original mag.

+1,very easy to damage the feedlips on the stock mag when tearing down the rifle if you dont either lock back the bolt or remove it before trying to remove the mag during dissasembly,the feedlips ride in groves on the sides of the bolt.Good luck
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top