Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/4/2005 3:09:43 PM EDT
I love shooting my NornicoSKS, which i have had for a month or 2 now.  i have put a couple hundred rounds through it and it has functioned perfectly with all of them.  i want to keep it that way.  
I have noticed that after putting 40 rounds or so through it in 15 or 20 min, the barrel gets fairly warm.  This is my first rifle beyond a .22 and needless to say, things work a bit differently.  How hot should the barrel get?  what is the point when heat starts to damage it?  i'm nervous to put a lot of ammo through it in one sitting like i can my little plinking rifles.
Any thoughts or experiances?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure how long it takes to damage the barrel, but I do know you aren't ANYWHERE close. 40 rounds in 15 -20 minutes is not a stress on that barrel. I've put a whole lot more than than through my rifle in a lot less time. As long as the barrel isn't glowing...you should be fine.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't count the number of times I've hit the range with 200-300 rounds on strippers and run through them as fast as they would load.  These are hot rifles, but it's much more a user comfort thing than anything to worry about as far as longevity.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I put 300 rounds through my Yugo as fast as possible one day at the range.
A buddy handed me the Stripper Clips to make things go faster, had one in hand by the last round was shot, reload, do it all over again.

It didnt hurt the barrel, it shot the same as it always had.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I can't count the number of times I've hit the range with 200-300 rounds on strippers and run through them as fast as they would load.  These are hot rifles, but it's much more a user comfort thing than anything to worry about as far as longevity.

+1
When handguards start smoking you might want to let it sit for a minute ONLY so you can hold on to it.  Mostly they just become too hot for you to hold on to.
Besides it's an SKS, they're made for it.  Dont worry at all about it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
me an my uncle go half on a 1000 round case for my sks it takes 2 hours to go through 1000 rounds so you will be fine for another20,000-30,000 round till its time to buy another sks
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
me an my uncle go half on a 1000 round case for my sks it takes 2 hours to go through 1000 rounds so you will be fine for another20,000-30,000 round till its time to buy another sks

You burn any up yet?  I've always wondered how long it'd take.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]
You should stop shooting when
rounds start cooking off in the chamber .

I've never seen that happen with an SKS
because the upper handguard usually catches
fire before that ... which I have seen .

But in fairness to the question asked .
I would suspect that a Yugo SKS would
be the first to suffer damage because
they don't use a chrome lined bore .
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I put 140 rounds through my chinese SKS pretty quickly, the handguards got warm but nothing else.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Ditto, I've run 20 stripper clips in a PDQ and never had a glick or concern. It actually helped some of the grease out the impossible to reach places on the exterior when she was a newbie in the harem.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the limit on many FA guns is 100 round bursts and it is just not possible to achieve that kind of rounds per second cycle rate with an SKS.    As people have mentioned, be wary of the handguard catching on fire.  In my case, I have a cheapo walmart nylon sling that starts to melt if I shoot to much.

Be careful shooting it the first time because if it was packed in cosmoline, some could still be creeping out of the wood and that stuff has a fairly low flashpoint of 351F IIRC.    I missed getting some out of where the GL joins the barrel on my Yugo and it almost caught fire.  That would not have been dangerous, but could have scuffed the finish.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]
When you run out of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#12]
When the threat has stopped being a threat.

If the front part of my gun gets too hot try putting it on a trpod and just holding the back part of the gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I've dumped 400 rounds in about 3 minutes before (AR15)! You ain't going to hurt this bitch! The test of the US M4 carbine showed that the barrel would burst after about 1400 rounds full auto! IIRC, they said the OUTSIDE of the hand guards was 1200 degrees farenhight! Think about it man!
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top