Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2005 8:09:55 PM EDT
FMJ rounds feed perfectly, but softpoints hang up about every third or fourth round.  It seems they're catching just below the chamber, like they're not being lifted high enough.

This happens with an aftermarket 10-round fixed mag, an aftermarket 5 round fixed mag, a borrowed 20round duckbill, and an original norinco 10-round mag.  This makes me question if its really a magazine problem.

Would it be possible to cut a very small, very short, feed ramp into the barrel without any safety issues from the round not being fully supported?  (What I'm thinking would leave about 1/16" unsupported, if that, directly in front of the groove in the case)

Would that a) be safe and b) work?  Other suggestions?

FWIW, I'm a competent machinist, I just don't know if leaving a small bit unsupported would be safe, since I don't know much about the pressures involved in the round, or the construction of commie-bloc ammo (namely, wolf)
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump for the day crew
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you should be alright with aslight radius to 1/16th, wouldn't go much more without talking with a full time Gunsmith. Wolf rounds are steel cased and the primer end is the heavier walled end.

Get a couple more opinions. I sanded mine with some fine emery cloth just to put a little smoother radius on the bottom side of the chamber entrance. I did for GP just to help with the overall smoothness of the gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you should be alright with aslight radius to 1/16th, wouldn't go much more without talking with a full time Gunsmith. Wolf rounds are steel cased and the primer end is the heavier walled end.

Get a couple more opinions. I sanded mine with some fine emery cloth just to put a little smoother radius on the bottom side of the chamber entrance. I did for GP just to help with the overall smoothness of the gun.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of SKS? Norinco I take it? (from the other thread)

Ben
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What kind of SKS? Norinco I take it? (from the other thread)

Ben

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a FYI are you ensuring that the cartridges are firmly seated at the back of the mag?  I usually tap the mag to firmly seat the rounds and have had no problems with the aftermarket steel or the polymer type mags.

Not sure if this helps or not but might be worth a try.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just a FYI are you ensuring that the cartridges are firmly seated at the back of the mag?  I usually tap the mag to firmly seat the rounds and have had no problems with the aftermarket steel or the polymer type mags.

Not sure if this helps or not but might be worth a try.

Yep.  Makes no difference.

I think I'll just stick to FMJ rounds, they feed flawlessly.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top