Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/22/2005 3:43:01 PM EDT
Do you think the SKS is good or bad? Please state your reasons below.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#1]
At least vote guys even if you don't give reasons.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#2]
It's good for what it is.

It was the Eastern Blocks response to the Garand and in many ways for actual combat use it outclassed the Garand because it was lighter, had higher capacity, the person carrying it could carry more ammo because it is lighter and it was less complicated and cheaper to build.

The development of the AK-47 eventually made it obsolete.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]
it is more accurate than an AK, and the attached bayonet is cool to have. Most aftermarket stuff is horrid, especialy magazines.

with a choate dragunov stock, a 20 rond fixed mag (never load them to full capacity) and a scope mounted directly to the receiver, and bayonetits a darned fine weapon.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It was the Eastern Blocks response to the Garand and in many ways for actual combat use it outclassed the Garand because it was lighter, had higher capacity, the person carrying it could carry more ammo because it is lighter and it was less complicated and cheaper to build.

The M1 was waaaaay better than the SKS. The M1 you could use as a really effective club. It was so effective during the Korean war that EBAY now classifies Garand stocks as "assault weapons" in and of themselves. Oh yeah, to me fieldstripping an M1 is so much easier than fieldstripping an SKS. Plus a 3006 hits harder through the turban than a 762 rusky.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The M1 was waaaaay better than the SKS. The M1 you could use as a really effective club. It was so effective during the Korean war that EBAY now classifies Garand stocks as "assault weapons" in and of themselves. Oh yeah, to me fieldstripping an M1 is so much easier than fieldstripping an SKS. Plus a 3006 hits harder through the turban than a 762 rusky.

Ben

Yea, but 30'06 is expensive and so are M1 Garands.  At the price, both the ammo and the gun had better be three times as effective as the old Simonov
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm saying yes even though I don't have much experience.  My first SKS went full auto and I haven't shot my second one yet.  I think they are neat though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#7]
To me it is just a "fun little gun".

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Its a good gun with a good round and with stripper clips its even better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm saying yes even though I don't have much experience.  My first SKS went full auto and I haven't shot my second one yet.  I think they are neat though.

Dude, before you shoot the second one, clean the bolt properly.  Disassemble and clean the firing pin and the channel it rides in.  The preservative grease can and will make the pin stick, which can and will make the rifle burst or empty itself in a thoroughly unneighborly fashion.  Pin and channel should be dry as a bone too, don't glop it up with oil.

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I voted "Wonderful". I mean, think about it. Where else can we get a good weapon in a decent caliber for $150.00 or less? Hell, in some parts of the country, they are the new .30-30, everyone has one! They are reliable, rugged and at least decently accurate. Everyone should have at least one!

Bub
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I certainly would never own one!!

That is why I have 2 (for now )  IMO, there is really not a better non-22LR field gun for the price.  By "field gun" I mean something that you take with you to stomp around the woods and shoot at any offending tree stumps all day.  Ammo is super cheap, and even cheaper if you do surplus and carry around a bottle of windex, running a car over one would probably not do anything major, and if you somehow do manage to kill one, then for 1 to 2 bills go buy a new one and use what is left for parts.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 2:51:35 AM EDT
[#12]
pros: more accurate than my AK; CHEAP; chrome-lined bbl; cheap ammo

con: not as compact; too many parts; dirty
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Too many parts? There aren't that many parts. I can dissassemble an SKS pretty quickly, much more so than my M1.

Oh, compare Sierra Matchking 168grain BTHPs to Wolf 122gr HPs. I'm gonna say that the effectiveness of the SM168grBTHP makes up for the price difference !

Ben
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Depends on the type of SKS you have as to the cons I guess. My SKS-M is the same size as my WASR 10 takes the same mags and ammo and is more accurate.

As for dirty i don't know what you mean, could you elaborate? If your talking about needing to be cleaned more often? Than no, as i have probably 2000rds through it and have only oiled the fire control parts and the bolt. No need to clean any of the internals as the gas system doesn't open into the action like the AK does, so it doesn't get fould up as quickly.

No offence I am just stirring up the conversation a little.      
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I voted wonderfull.It is the best value in firearms right now IMHO.Think about it,and american made sks today would cost atleast 500 dollars or so.Damn wouldnt you love to have a stainless sks with a nice laminated stock thoughCheap rifle,cheap ammo,desent mag capacity,as reliable as a pointed stick whats not to love?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#16]
It's good. That cheap you can get quite a bit of firepower from one of these honeys.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#17]
It's hands down the best combat rifle dollar for dollar that can be had. Great design, I think the SKS is much better than the AK. They work damn good, easy to shoot, ammo is cheap, tons of fun. Great backup rifle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I vote good.Wonderf..... is too long of a word for me. It is great to shoot while your ar is cooling down.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Depends on the type of SKS you have as to the cons I guess. My SKS-M is the same size as my WASR 10 takes the same mags and ammo and is more accurate.

As for dirty i don't know what you mean, could you elaborate? If your talking about needing to be cleaned more often? Than no, as i have probably 2000rds through it and have only oiled the fire control parts and the bolt. No need to clean any of the internals as the gas system doesn't open into the action like the AK does, so it doesn't get fould up as quickly.

No offence I am just stirring up the conversation a little.      

sorry, i got 2 full sized SKSs--either way, my AK w/ folder is more compact than partrooper SKS

still more parts that AK--just more to loose/replace

dirty: more noticable dirt on most of the parts, but i have had 100% reliabiliy even dirty
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I voted good, they are alot more accurate than my ak and are just fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 2:23:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I voted good too. They are a good gun for the price and can still be very personalized for a reasonable price. You can bounce it around in the truck and not worry about dinging it up. Don't  have to spend as much time cleaning as you did shooting.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Another "good" vote here.  Simple, reliable rifle, cheap ammo, and accurate enough for what it is.  Just don't go adding a detachable magazine to it.  It's the quickest way to turn an SKS into an unreliable POS, IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Another "good" vote here.  Simple, reliable rifle, cheap ammo, and accurate enough for what it is.  Just don't go adding a detachable magazine to it.  It's the quickest way to turn an SKS into an unreliable POS, IMHO.

+1
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I chose wonderful

The sks is a underated firearm

SKS
20 inch chrome lined bore
longer sight radius
milled receiver
retains its cleaning kit and bayonet on the rifle
surplus ammo and replacement parts
many aftermarket parts avalible
low price
imported in large quantities
still in combat around the world
much better accuracy than the ak-47
faster loading via stripper clips

And my question to all who give negative criticism to the sks.......

Would you stand in front of a pissed off chinese soldier with a loaded sks?

I didn't think so
LOL
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I voted good. I like my SKS rifles, but prefer my AK's to them hands down. It all comes down to the low capacity. My yugo SKS runs like a swiss watch, but only holds ten rounds. My Chinese ten round rifles run just as well, my M model 20" rifles have issues, they are fairly reliable, but mag changes are not as quick or easy as an AK, they also are not quite as reliable and either my AK's or fixed mag SKS's.

All the same, if a person just cannot afford an AK, the SKS is a great alternative for half the price, if you already have an AK and not an SKS, you need to go and buy one, because they are a blast. This is an issue where the owners personal preferences make more of a difference than the actual pro or cons of the rifles, and as ususal you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't get both.

10 ROUNDS IS ALL IT TAKES MY .02
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I chose wonderful

SKS
longer sight radius
milled receiver
low price

I didn't think so
LOL

All good points, just remember to never stick your finger in the buttstock hole that holds the cleaning kit; it is a chinese finger puzzle!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:20:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I chose wonderful

SKS
longer sight radius
milled receiver
low price

I didn't think so
LOL

All good points, just remember to never stick your finger in the buttstock hole that holds the cleaning kit; it is a chinese finger puzzle!

I'm ashamed to admit that I have been the victim of that...
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#29]
me too that damn cleaning kit hole   and one time i was taking my bayonet off and it sprung off and stabbed me in the d*ck now I have a nice scar to show the ladies lol
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I believe they are truly wonderful.  
I have a Yugo 59/66 and a Russian.  

The Yugo has what I call "set and forget" sights.  I use the same elevation setting for anything between 25 and 200 yards.  It is a couple inches high at 25 and maybe just a smidge low at 200 using Wolf 154gr SP ammo.  With the factory sights I am able to hit a 2-liter bottle at 200 yards, so you can't tell me they aren't any good.  I ordered a monte carlo stock for it, but haven't installed it yet.  I am going to order a KNS front sight soon for better precision shooting at 200 yards.  I'd like to be able to punch a 16oz coke bottle with open sights at 200; that's the goal.

I haven't shot the Russian as much.  I shot it enough to verify the sights were correct.  The stock was showing signs of fatigue so I replaced it with a fiberforce dragunov style.  Word of warning, if you use this stock, but don't have a scope on the rifle, you'll have to modify or remove the cheekpiece.  I chose to modify mine.  This rifle also got an ATI folding bipod that mounts to the bayonet lug.  I'm very disappointed with that bipod; the legs start to fold during recoil.  The only other thing it needs is a fiber optic fronst sight post from Williams.  I noticed I have a hard time picking up the front sight in the dusk hours when the dog packs are running.  It's not the gun's fault; I'd have the same problem with any rifle's sights.

2guntom
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Dollar to Dollar, It's the best military surplus bargain out there. Sure, It's no M1 garand but it is still holding it's own in the third world.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top