Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2004 8:38:03 AM EDT
How are the Norinco made SKS rifles? Am I better off buying a slightly used Yugo or ald Russian SKS?
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#1]
My first choice would be a stock, original Russian SKS.  That is mostly from a historical perspective.  Figure to spend no more than $300.

However, you can buy two chinese SKS's for the cost of the above mentioned Russian version.  The Chinese rifles are as good as any made.  I prefer the screw in barrel, but the pressed in barrels function just as well.  You should be able to find a very good Chinese one for about $150.

The Yugo is my 3rd choice.  It, to is a fine weapon.  But the g-launcher is good for display and not much else.  And unlike everyone else's SKS, the Yugo do not have chrome lined bores.  However, they can be had for les than $125 just about everywhere.

Buy good quality and condition.  The source nation is meaningless if the SKS is beat up/pitted or it has an aftermarket magazine.
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Norinco SKS, it is a great rifle but finding  one under $200.00 these days is getting hard I wouldn't pay over $200.00 for one

If you have a C&R, you can get the Russian, and Yugos, AIM has a M59 now that does not have the gernade launcher on it for $159.00 I believe

Link Posted: 11/24/2004 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Chinese Norinco SKS and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

RW3
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the replies all!
Link Posted: 11/26/2004 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a Norinco now and have owned two others in the past. Great Guns!!!  What I've read is the Russian's are the best and the Chinese are second.  I have never had any problem with my Chinese versions and would highly recommend them to anyone who is considering an SKS.
Link Posted: 12/8/2004 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a norinco and a Russian, I thought the norinco was far better......but both where flawless
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer the Russian SKS

*better machining and fitting
*nicer looking furniture
*nicer quality steel and blueing
*original SKS
*more collector value

my second choice is Chinese military issue or Romanian
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]
 I have two paratrooper SKS's.  One of them is a Norinco.  I really love this rifle.  I have fired many rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger and have never had a malfunction.  I prefer the paratrooper model over the full size SKS's.  I had a Russian and sold it when I got my second paratrooper model.  To me they are lighter, quicker handling and just more fun.  I don't own SKS's for collector or historical reasons.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I too, have a Norinco. Very reliable and accurate. Would like to have a Russian, but guns are made to be shot and I would'nt do that with the Russian, yeh right!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:25:44 AM EDT
[#10]
The Yugo is the way to go, great quality for the best price.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:33:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a Norinco that I sold to buy an unissued Yugo.  The Norinco is a good SKS.  Mine shot and functioned very well.  It was a much lighter rifle than the Yugo.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I like my Norinco.  It's my 2nd one (traded the 1st a few years ago).  I got in this past summer for $150 w/the cosmoline still on it.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I like my Norinco.  It's my 2nd one (traded the 1st a few years ago).  I got in this past summer for $150 w/the cosmoline still on it.  

outstanding! thanks for the input, gentlemen
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's a pic of it;
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I LOVE my Norinco SKS !!!   My best friend gave it to me for my birthday last year.  He said he "had to many guns."  It is a paratrooper with no bayonet lug, in outstanding condition, with all matching numbers.  Only drawback was it had no internal box mag.  He also gave me an external 30rd duckbill to go with it.  The 30rd fits like a glove and feeds no problem!  I tried several 10 round duckbills but they are all POS.  

I think he was hinting about giving me his mini14, too.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

PS.  For all of us who are 922 aware, I ended up going the 10 or less route so I could keep using the external mag.  I replaced the wood stock with an ATI Drag.  (The wood stock was so short for my build, thing felt like a toy)
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#16]
my 2 cents... Tapco has a shit load of  SKS spare parts.. mostly ChiCom... i have russian and chinese SKS.  the chinese bolt & carrier are different than russian, wont interchange. if u break your russian bolt/carrier... u might not be able to find spare parts. but chinese u will.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have a Norinco SKS, it is a great rifle but finding  one under $200.00 these days is getting hard I wouldn't pay over $200.00 for one

If you have a C&R, you can get the Russian, and Yugos, AIM has a M59 now that does not have the gernade launcher on it for $159.00 I believe

I just bought a minty Norinco Type 56 SKS for 150$ with chest pouch, stripper clips, and sling...

Ben
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I also have a Norinco paratrooper SKS. I like the shorter barrel. Trigger pull is terrible, but I only paid $100. for it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:26:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
my 2 cents... Tapco has a shit load of  SKS spare parts.. mostly ChiCom... i have russian and chinese SKS.  the chinese bolt & carrier are different than russian, wont interchange. if u break your russian bolt/carrier... u might not be able to find spare parts. but chinese u will.

If you break your russian bolt/carrier, you're friggin Hercules!

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top