Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2004 10:59:57 AM EDT
I have an SKS that is loaded via AK mags. Can anyone tell me if this was factory-built this way or if this was a mod done by someone. It is chinese. It was made by Norinco. I bought the rifle used. It was in excelent condition. I bought it for $250(from a cop no less). Right in the parking lot of the Sheriff's Dept. If anyone has info on this I'd love to hear it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Good rifle!!! It was most likely made that way if it accepts regular AK mags. China made some of these. I actually like them over an AK anyday. Good gun, when did you buy it? Just barely?
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I've actually had it for a couple of years. When I got it the stock was unfinished. I put an oil finish on it myself. As soon as I get my picture hosting set up I'll post some pics.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
It will only take the 20-30 rounders right, no drums?
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure if it will take drums or not. I can't get the pic to work. Is there a trick to it? Here's the link. www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=209159
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
SKS-D...

Chinese adaptation to allow use of the SKS with AK mags...

Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
There I finally got it to work.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/209159.JPG

That's a strange looking detachable mag SKS.  I've never seen one with the bayonet and regular stock.  It may be quite a collector item.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
What is the modification? Also is it possible to buy these from a distributor?
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 2:55:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Can you take a picture of the mag well ? I would like to see if there is a convershien kit in it. Gator
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 3:03:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm no expert but what I've read, and like Dave said, there's an SKSD or SKS Sporter. They were Chinese made for export, and take the double stack AK mags. I saw on one of the forums that an AK drum can be used but you have to cut away some of the stock around the mag well. There was one at a gun show in the spring and the guy wanted $350 for his, it looked nice. I did't think they came with bayonets though? It could be a modified surplus model, I saw plans & instructions to modify a standard SKS to take AK mags, but it looks like a lot of work and you got to know what your doing or you will be buying replacement parts or a replacement gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll post pics of the mag well as soon as I can. I think this is an SKS-D. I found something about them on the web.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Norinco made a model S and a model D The model S is sporterized The model D is in the military type configuration.It looks as if this is a model D.Good score by the way 250 bucks is a good price these usally go for 350 and up.My brother got one of these for 300 bucks and we thought that was a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#14]
There is also the SKS-NR, which is like the S, with the AK mags and the thumbhole stock.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]
And where do you find these?
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I found one at a local pawn shop. Never had seen it before. It seems to be identical to the SKS-Sporter, but is clearly stamped "SKS-NR"
Several guys at the gun shows have them usually. You just have to look, since they are banned from import, they are kinda rare and hard to find. They also cost more.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#17]
SKS-M also takes AK mags
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:04:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had two of them and really liked them over the regular SKS or AK.  The first one I had was identical to the one pictured, but I had to sell it due to financial problems.  It took me three years to find another, that one has the more common thumbhole stock and milled bayonet lug.  Since then, I have seen many in this configuration, but only two with the bayonet.  Drums will not fit without modification.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:59:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'll post pics of the mag well as soon as I can. I think this is an SKS-D. I found something about them on the web.

This is a typical SKS-D There is also a SKS-M  that used a Monte Carlo stock

Yours looks like one of these SKS rifles that were imported by BETA Arms Inc in L.A. CA.
They are reasonably rare .

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a typical SKS-D There is also a SKS-M  that used a Monte Carlo stock

img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/chrome_1/NorincoSporter.jpg

Yours looks like one of these SKS rifles that were imported by BETA Arms Inc in L.A. CA.
They are reasonably rare .

img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/chrome_1/SKS1.jpg

Man those are nice!
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top