Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2003 9:49:19 PM EDT
I picked up a new norinco sks sporter at an auction last weekend for $185. It's a post ban with a 16" barrel, and the thumbhole stock. I only got the crappy little post ban mag with it. I wanted to check and see if all ak mags worked well in these, or if just certin ones function and fit. The mag well seems really weird and will probably take some getting used to. I also don't have any ammo for it yet and just wanted to check and see if these were at all ammo sensitive.

I have never had an sks before but, I have a sar-2 that eats anything. How is the sporter compared to the ak's as far as reliability and accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I think IMHO the SKS is just as reliable as the AK. More accurate is for sure as well.

You by chance wouldnt want to sell your new SKS would ya?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one of those, its post ban but it doesn't have the thumbhole stock.  It seems to work best with Chinese mags (just for fit) but works OK with the European mags.  $185 is a good price, I've seen 'em going for $300 at Dallas/Ft Worth area guns shows...I'm hanging onto mine, they may be scarce one day
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
So the european mags have some issues. DO they still feed well or do you get occasional ftfs? Do you have a good source for cheap chinese mags?

Sorry M4 but i don't really sell my guns. I've never met one I didn't like at least a little. I like the feel of this gun, hopefully it shoots and functions well.

Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
At $8 a pop AK mags are so cheap you could just buy a few used ones and try them out.  Keep what works.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:33:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a D model.  The one I have is a bit mag picky.  I just try a mag and when it works, mark it with a dot of paint.  All my mags work in all my AKs but the SKS is a bit selective.
BTW most of the mag problems I have had are with the low cap mags.  Accuracy wise, the D model SKS blows the AKs away from my experience.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:49:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Man Guncrazy , you got a deal IMHO!
I have one - bought it new way back for $250.

Mine works perfect with Euro or Chinese mags.

Hollowpoint ammo gives me some fail to feeds ,
but FMJ works perfect.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I got three used romanian mags for $6 a piece, and 500 rounds of silver bear match 7.62 hollow core. If the mags are fully loaded they are a PITA to get in if the bolt is closed. If they are downloaded by a few rounds or I am holding the bolt back then they go in pretty easy.

I have completely stripped the finish off the stock and re-shaped the thumbhole and grip so its more comfortable. The back of the grip was a little square so it just didn't feel good. I rounded and thinned it out and it's much better now. I'll probably give it a coat of walnut, or black walnut stain and then a couple coats of poly.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one that runs like a top with 5, 20, or 30 round mags. I have been seeing them at gun shows for $450 and $500.

I might part with mine if you catch me in the right mood.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#9]
An SKS-D for $185, is a good bargain. The Norinco AK mags work the best!
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top