Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2003 7:34:08 AM EDT
I recently picked up a Chinese SKS at a gunshow.  It looks pretty good, but it has four evil features: pistol grip, detachable mag, bayonet, and folding stock.  If this wasn't pre-ban, I would be in violation of the AW bill.  Is there a tracker I can enter my serial into to see if it's pre-ban?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm under the impression that since the SKS originally came out with a non removable mag, it doesn't fit in with the preban BS.
I'd like to hear more knowlegeable opinions though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I went back to the gunshow and talked to the dealer.  He said that since it is a Chinese paratrooper model, it is pre-ban because they were only imported in '93 and in '94 before the ban.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
But, I don't know if that dealer was full of BS.  I am planning on putting a fixed magazine on it, so I can still keep all of my "evil" features, and it won't be an "assault weapon", but until I do that, it is still up in the air whether or not it is legal, since I do not have any paperwork verifying that it is pre-ban.  But, since it is illegal to assemble an imported rifle with more than ten imported parts.  How can I tell if they're imported or not?
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Nilat,
I think you'd be safe to assume that there ain't no such animal as a pre/post SKS! They either made it in country or not! With all the internet psychobabble out there- I've just about concluded that it's all legendary crap!
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The key is weather or not it was in a prohibited configuration prior to September 1994.  The paratroopers did not come in with a detatchable mag, that is the key here.  Going to the 10 round fixed will solve all problems.  The better choice IMHO, since all of the detatch mags I've seen for the SKS suck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Well that's no good.  Gun control is the most worthless, frustrating thing ever created.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top