Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/3/2003 7:25:53 PM EDT
Is it possible to convert the SKS to reliably accept and function with AK-47 mags?  I have seen a couple post on folks advertising a booklet depicting how to make the modification, but no details.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Norinco did it with the D model which became the Sporter which I have.
I don't know how cost effective it would be to convert one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
This has been cussed and discussed numerous times here.  In short, the answer is that it can be done.  It is extremely expensive, costing more than the rifle, or a new AK for that matter, and is not very reliable.  Best to enjoy things for what they are and not try to turn them into what they are not.  The D model Norinco is the exception, but then again, they have a government owned factory and an endless supply of engineers to figure these things out.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Spend $160 and buy a Saiga from CDNN and convert that, or just buy an SAR-1.  Trying to convert an SKS is not worht the effort and will generally prove unreliable.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Good enough.  I have a SAR-1 and having a blast with it.  The SKS purchase was on a whim and its an good and accurate shooter.  So we will just keep it the way it is for now.  The whole idea seemed a bit farfetched to me anyway.
Thanks
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top