Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/1/2003 6:00:36 PM EDT
I've heard lots of talk about the legality of bayonets on sks's.  It seems that most sks enthusiasts treat the bayonet being mounted as illegal, but doesn't the '94 crime bill say that the bayonet LUG is the prohibited part?  

So the question should'nt be about mounting the bayo or not, it should be about whether to mill the lug off or not.  Right?
Is there something I missed?

thanks,

-GH
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Beats the hell out of me. Unless you do something to inspire an ATF agent to run the SN on your gun to see if it is, why worry about it?

The technical answer is that post-94 imported SKSs, excluding Russian, Romanian, and Yugoslavian. Therefore an SKS CANNOT have a bayonet if they have a pistol grip and threaded muzzle or folding stock.

If the rifle is a fixed magazine, standard configuration weapon, then it may have up to three "evil" features without being an "assault rifle". So my responce to "SKS enthusiasts" that say that you've got to take your bayonet off, is that ignorance is worse than tyranny, and nearly as bad as willful stupidity.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, the SKS is designed as a fixed magazine rifle.  Most of the Norinco guns imported are actually set up as a detachable mag rifle, but you can get fixed 5 and 10 round mags that should work in them, I would think.

I think the bayo legality issue comes from a 1989 law that banned the import of some foreign made "non-sporting" rifles.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Security six is correct.  It does stem from the 89 import ban.  The euro C&R guns were exempted because of their c&R status.  The Norinco guns were not exempted because they were new production for the American sporting market.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm, not all of the Norinco guns were. My very fist Norinco back in 1994 was a commercial and was imported and sold with its spike intact. As is my 1990 import pin-barrel SKS-D. Not only was it imported with a bayonet, its the *correct* bayonet for the D which is different from standard SKS bayos.

I find the various laws concerning these things like a bad oder you just cant escape- its best if you just ignore it, because there realy isnt anything you can do about it and its pretty doubtful that anyone else is going to do anthing about it either.

As an anecdote- a buddy of mine bought a MAK90 when they first came out, and immideitly restored the Type56 FSB with the folding spike bayonet, and put a Chinese blond stock back on her. No American parts (at the time an American stock set ran $150 and was NOT marked) no fuss. He dosent call attention to the fact, and no one has ever asked about it. He's shot it in public innumerable times, and even taken it to gunshows and the only one occasion anyone had a hissey fit about it, it was some anal-retentive boot licking shooter, not a GovThug.

OTOH I think there is a cop down in California who got in DEEEEEP crap over having an "Un neutered" SKS. But thats California...
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Talking about bayonet lug...

I bought my SKS with the bayonet lug chopped off so I ordered that specific part thinking I could replace it easily. It comes with the front sight. I tried to take the pins out with a punch but no luck. I don't want to hit too hard on it.

Anybody has an idea??

By the way, I'm Canadian so I don't have to worry about bayonet legality...
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top