Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 1:48:53 PM EDT
1. Why does the SKS fall under the AWB? Do they consider the magazine to be detachable?

2. How would I know if my SKS is a preban or a postban? It's russian, FWIW, and I think it was purchased prior to the AWB passage, but don't remember for sure (I'd have to ask dad when he got it). It came with the bayonet and lug, so I would guess it's a preban.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
current SKS imports from Yugo have grenade launchers and bayonets on them and yet are considered C&Rs by the ATF.  Tell me how any of this makes any sense at all....
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
C&R status has to do with date of manufacture.  Now, the russian SKS are all C&R also.  If however you change the configuration of the rifle from its original, that is replace any of the parts with parts that are unlike the originals, then the weapon loses its C&R status as it is no longer in the guise that made it approved for C&R.  The sks does not fall under the AWB until someone attempts to convert it into a semi auto assault weapon.  This conversion could include adding a folding stock, pistol grip, grenade launcher, hi cap mag etc.  It is then considered " modified ".  

It is not an AW if left in original configuration.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]
So if I "modify" my SKS with a thumbhole stock (pistol grip per ATF), the AWB applies, and I can't add another "evil feature" because I have a bayonet lug already. Presumably, the fixed magazine is considered detachable, since it wouldn't fall under AWB at all without that.

Edited to add: why would anyone want to modify the stock? We're all 5 feet tall, right?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#4]
This part is getting technical and would probably require ATF clarification.  If length is the problem I would just add a spacer to the but pad. This is not a major change of configuration and would not invalidate C&R status.  Part uf this falls under the 89 import ban, and parts could apply to the AWB.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
After some research, I'm thinking (and it's JMHO) that since I have a fixed, 5 round magazine (not detachable), I don't have an "assault weapon," so I could evil feature myself to death. However, since I changed the stock, it is no longer original configuration, so I can't attach the bayonet, but I could if I put the old stock back on, because it's Russian. Does this sound correct?

Things could get ugly if I went with a detachable magazine, but I don't plan to do that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
1. Why does the SKS fall under the AWB? Do they consider the magazine to be detachable?

2. How would I know if my SKS is a preban or a postban? It's russian, FWIW, and I think it was purchased prior to the AWB passage, but don't remember for sure (I'd have to ask dad when he got it). It came with the bayonet and lug, so I would guess it's a preban.

Unless it has been modified to accept detachable magazines, the SKS does not fall under the 1994 AWB.  The '94 ban covers semi-auto rifles that have detachable magazines and 2 or more of the features in the list.  

SKS falls, if I'm not mistaken, under an '89 import ban (or was it '86, I was a really young pup at the time) of some flavor, though I don't know the specifics on it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
GO TO SIMONOV.NET TO IDENTIFY YOUR WEAPON. GENERALLY IF YOU LEAVE THEM ORIGINAL THEN YOU CAN'T GO WRONG UNLESS YOU LIVE IN THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF KALIFORNIA. THESE GUNS ARE A JOY TO SHOOT IN THEIR ORIGINAL CONFIGURATION. THE NOSTAGLIA AND HISTORY IN YOUR HANDS IS WONDERFUL. AMMO IS CHEAP FOR TARGET SHOOTING, CHEAPER THAN SHOOTING CLAY BIRDS.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The '94 ban covers semi-auto rifles that have detachable magazines and 2 or more of the features in the list.  

Detachable mag is one of TWO ALLOWED evil features...  pistol grip, and you've got your two... =
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The '94 ban covers semi-auto rifles that have detachable magazines and 2 or more of the features in the list.  

Detachable mag is one of TWO ALLOWED evil features...  pistol grip, and you've got your two... =

Nope.  If a rifle doesn't have a detachable mag or isn't specifically named in the bill, it cannot be a semi-automatic assault weapon.  If it does have a detachable mag, it can legally have one evil feature.  Detachable mags aren't evil features and are only issues on the "semi-automatic assault weapons".  Any more than that, it is illegal.  The only fixed magazine weapons in the bill are shotguns.  United States Code, Title 18, Section 921, Paragraph 30.  Subparagraph A lists specific weapons that are/were banned, subparagraphs B, C, and D list the general definitions for rifles, pistols, and shotguns respectively.

On a fixed magazine, semi-auto rifle, you can evil-feature yourself to death.  On a manually operated rifle (bolt, lever, slide/pump, single shot), you can evil-feature yourself to death, detachable mag or not.  

Edited to add: OK, I've edited this post twice, but I keep making it sound silly.  The '94 AWB is a silly law, though.  Contact your Representatives and Senators and oppose H.R. 2038 and and S. 1034 respectively. Then we won't have to worry about this silly law.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top