Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2021 9:38:40 PM EDT
It’s not terrible, but needs some rescuing. It’s sitting in a crapco stock and has a rattly a$$ dust cover with a rail..for whoever wants to mount an optic so they can shoot 24 moa.

The stock works as it is, I’m not happy with it but I’ll replace it later. I’ve been trying to find a dust cover to get rid of this stupid rail and haven’t been able to find much. I haven’t been in the SKS game in quite a while, who’s the go-to these days for these kinds of parts?
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Ha!  I married into one.  Have a replacement stock & magazine for it, think the original dust cover is in the safe.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It’s not terrible, but needs some rescuing. It’s sitting in a crapco stock and has a rattly a$$ dust cover with a rail..for whoever wants to mount an optic so they can shoot 24 moa.

The stock works as it is, I’m not happy with it but I’ll replace it later. I’ve been trying to find a dust cover to get rid of this stupid rail and haven’t been able to find much. I haven’t been in the SKS game in quite a while, who’s the go-to these days for these kinds of parts?
View Quote

I just rescued a bubba M59 SKS and used a combination of Ebay and Liberty Tree Collectors for parts with great success. Ebay will be where you go for the dust cover and sling, LTC will be good for a stock and most other small parts.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=107
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome! Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck finding all those parts.
I picked up an ‘89 Norinco in an ATI Monte Carlo stock with a busted Tapco mag at a yard sale for $40 a longtime ago.
But even back then, it was gonna cost me almost as much to buy the stock, hardware, bayonet& fixed mag as beater unmolested SKS.

Biggest issue will be finding the right stock. Don’t think there’s much difference between short & long collar barrels but there is a difference in pinned barrels. And unless you’re getting it off an SKS forum, most don’t know the difference.

I just swapped back to an original fixed 10 round mag and enjoy it as is. There is (or was) a guy on Etsy selling nice wooden replacement SKS stocks, one looked close to the SKS original stock but with a rubber buttpad. Like $125. Advertised as Some Fitting Required but was supposed to be cut for all versions.

I think a lot of us wound up with bubba’d SKSs and bought up all those surplus take off parts, they’re harder to find...
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

SKS Receiver Cover $34.00

You don't say what make it is, but there are plenty of SKS stocks with handguards on Gunbroker for $60 + shipping.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:32:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think a lot of us wound up with bubba'd SKSs and bought up all those surplus take off parts, they're harder to find...
View Quote
Yep.

SKS parts in general are surprisingly hard to find.

My friend and I salvaged a Chinese one that was a Hurricane Katrina victim, horribly rusted. The trigger itself was beyond saving and it took me years to locate a decently priced complete trigger group (because I couldn't find just a trigger). Fortunately its chrome lined bore had preserved the barrel, and made the whole project worthwhile. It still shot like new once we got it working again. We also discovered Evapo-Rust, which is an amazingly effective product.

I've got a Romanian SKS I bought off a guy that I had to find a receiver cover for (same thing, crappy Tapco mount).
Found a nice Russian one for it.

Original 10 round mag & reloading with clips is the way to go!
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top