Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/9/2021 12:50:29 PM EDT
Trying to determine the make/country of origin of this SKS. It has an Albanian bolt carrier and bolt that I put on because it didn't have one. But the receiver and barrel leave me clueless. It did not come with a stock, magazine, or gas system. Trigger is from a separate purchase I found. Thank you  in advance.

Pics
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Your pics go nowhere
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your pics go nowhere
View Quote

Thanks for catching that, should work now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 2:58:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Sanitized for covert export maybe?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Based on your serial number I'd say it's more than likely either a Yugo M59 or a Chinese Sino Soviet SKS
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Based on your serial number I'd say it's more than likely either a Yugo M59 or a Sino Soviet SKS but I'm leaning about 80% in favor of Yugo M59.
View Quote

I'm not an expert on SKS's at all so your help is much appreciated. If it's of any relevance the bayonet that came on it is the spike style, and no grenade launching style attachment on the end. We got a 2nd that came from the same batch, here are photos of that one: Pics

That one came with the magazine, as well as the bolt, bolt carrier, and dust cover.

I've tried fitting 2 stocks at the LGS to these, but the crossbar in the stock keeps them dropping in completely.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Yugo M59 didn't have grenade launcher provisions.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm not an expert on SKS's at all so your help is much appreciated. If it's of any relevance the bayonet that came on it is the spike style, and no grenade launching style attachment on the end. We got a 2nd that came from the same batch, here are photos of that one: Pics

That one came with the magazine, as well as the bolt, bolt carrier, and dust cover.

I've tried fitting 2 stocks at the LGS to these, but the crossbar in the stock keeps them dropping in completely.
View Quote

As far I'm aware Spike Bayonets only came on Chinese or Albanian SKS's and these are definately not Albanians. (Yugo M59's look just like Russian SKS for the most part, M59/66A1 is the grenade launcher model)

Based on the new information you provided along with pictures of the second gun I'm gonna say both are Chinese SKS's (You can clearly see the Arsenal 26 Mark on the second SKS /\) they were prolly scrubbed because they were Chinese and whoever imported them got nervous about it. Chinese and Russian/Yugo stocks are very different in fitment, you'll need Chinese Stocks cut for spike bayonets. Be careful because very early Chinese SKS' had Russian parts or were made with Russian tooling, your going to need to get yourself later stocks and even gastube with handgaurds will be a bit tricky. Most everything else should plug and play so to speak. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#8]
@hipsh0t

I believe you're correct. Looking at this link: http://chinesesks.weebly.com/195657-ghost.html
It appears very much the same.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@hipsh0t

I believe you're correct. Looking at this link: http://chinesesks.weebly.com/195657-ghost.html
It appears very much the same.
View Quote

Yeah, that Website explains things well, honestly if you want a bit better analysis of your two SKS rifles go and post them up on Survivor's SKS Boards (It's literally the AR15.com of SKS's).
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]
From looking at the pics, on my mobile device, it’s a Russian barred action. More than likely went to China and reused. Certainly a Russian barrel and rear sight.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top