Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2020 4:03:15 PM EDT

Just watched this video from Jerry, saw him drop the integral mag and hand load 5 rounds, one at a time.  I've had an SKS for over 20 years and never knew this could be done.  I have always had stripper clips and loaded from the top, or an M model that loaded with mags.

Learn something new everyday.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I will stick with my stripper clips.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Video doesn't work (???)
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#3]
This is how I normally load my SKS, I can only get 9 rds in that way though. Are they all like that or am I a retard and doing it wrong ?

Attachment Attached File

1954 Tula.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Video doesn't work (???)
View Quote

Presto!  Fixed.

Video Link
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]
just because you can doesn't make it the best way. Does it work... Sure.

Regardless the stripper clips are cheap and quicker.  I need to get my Yugo out and shot it some more.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:59:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  This is how I normally load my SKS, I can only get 9 rds in that way though. Are they all like that or am I a retard and doing it wrong ?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/48515/20201130_181617_1__jpg-1709106.JPG

1954 Tula.
View Quote

We call it a 10 round magazine, just as we say a Grand has an 8 round magazine.  The Garand magazine actually holds 7 - whenever the bolt goes forward it chambers the top round, meaning the magazine never holds 8 w/ the bolt closed.  I think the SKS is the same way.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
just because you can doesn't make it the best way. Does it work... Sure.

Regardless the stripper clips are cheap and quicker.  I need to get my Yugo out and shot it some more.
View Quote

I don't really think there is a right or wrong way, just two different methods.

IMO , for range use, it's easier to just drop them in than loading the stripper clips and then loading , but to each his own.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We call it a 10 round magazine, just as we say a Grand has an 8 round magazine.  The Garand magazine actually holds 7 - whenever the bolt goes forward it chambers the top round, meaning the magazine never holds 8 w/ the bolt closed.  I think the SKS is the same way.
View Quote
Good point, and great example.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#9]
An old RI saying...”I don’t grade on technique. I grade on performance.”
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't know about the M1 but with an SKS you can load 10 rounds push down the top cartridge and close the bolt on an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I can get 10rds in them just fine. Only issue is staggering  them to match the step of the follower.

Also a reason he has issues firing his.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't buy those junk Chinese strippers from nstar etc.. they stink... the bnx off of ebay seem to the best..
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've charged my mag and closed the bolt on an empty chamber with all my SKS's.
That's how my truck gun SKS is normally loaded.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#14]
SKS complete review and history with Jerry Miculek (4K UHD)
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top