Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/4/2012 5:51:59 PM EDT
I know this has been done here before and on other forums, however most of the photos are blurry and some even deleted. So I thought I would do this mod today on a couple of bolts and document it to help others maybe wishing to do the same mod. I took the photos in high def, I hope they come thru that way.

If you are a SKS owner and you have an aftermarket removable magazine you know how frustrating it can be to have to lock the bolt open to remove or insert the magazine. This simple mod makes it where the bolt can be closed to remove or insert a magazine. This mod can be done with a grinder or a dremmel, however I have a vertical mill machine so I am using that.
This is hardened steel so it will have to be grounded, it cannot be machined with a die (At least not any type I own).
I pulled the firing pin and extractor out (Its very easy to do) to make it easier to clamp down.
Also when finished clean the bolt very and I mean very good to remove all grit and reassemble.
This is a great mod to do for convenience and I suggest it to all SKS owners that do not care if their gun is not stock.
To me the SKS is just a cheap fall back rifle if I need a gun that fires 7.62X39 and I could care less about keeping a $250 to $300 gun in its stock configuration.

Be sure to follow the 922r compliance on 10 or less imported parts.

If the original wooden stock is used with the Tapco 20rd mags
please see this mod also in the link below.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=247720

Here is the bottom of the bolt and I marked the area I am grinding down with a sharpie.

The bottom ledge that I am pointing too needs to be grounded flat on both sides (left and right) of the bolt by you, so as there is no ledge.
See the last pictures in this post of the bolt finished, if you need further clarity in what to grind down.

The same here on this side of the bottom edge of the bolt you must grind the ledge flat.
See the last pictures in this post of the bolt finished, if you need further clarity in what to grind down.

You are looking at the bottom of the bolt here.

Another view of the bottom of the bolt.

This side is almost finished. I have a little spot near the rear of the grind to smooth out.

This side is now finished and smooth.

This is the other side that needs to be grounded down next, so as to remove that ledge.
The bolt is mounted in the vise upside down here, just like all the other pictures of it in the vise in this post.

The finished bolt on this side. See the bottom there is no ledge now.

The finished bolt on the other side. See the bottom there is no ledge now.

The only detachable mag to function as good as a stock SKS factory fixed mag, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice write up. I also relieved the bottom of the bolt by a few thousandths to allow fully loaded magazines to seat properly when I did mine.

I also did the 8:4 chamber polishing at the same time because my Norinco wouldn't feed HPs or 154gr SPs reliably, and I had built that rifle for a pig hunting rig so that was unacceptable. I have about 800 trouble free rounds since doing these mods back in 2010 and I have used at least a dozen different kinds of ammunition.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top