Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/22/2012 6:21:48 AM EDT
I have a 1954 Tula sks that I have decided is my first HD/BO choice. When I bought it it had already been cut down to 17 and the bayo lug removed but other than that its all matching and runs like a top. The wood on her is fantastic and I try to keep it as ding free as possible so I have been in the market for a new bang around stock. I have been lusting over the strikeforce stock for a while and recently the price had dropped to $75 shipped so I went for it. I know all the purists will frown on this but she had already been tainted by bubba before I got her. My question is that if i use the origional box mag and the lug had been cut off will adding the stock with folder and pistol grip be in violation of 922r?

My goal is to have a compact 7.62 rifle that feeds on stripper clips and has a reliable action.

Please don't suggest that I get an ak or vz .

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Well due to the overwhelming responses over the past 24 hours it is pretty clear to me this is a very gray area. I will go foreward with my build as planned and also buy the appropriate US parts to cover the 922r stuff as well. Here is a little photoshop work that I mocked up to show the rifle as I want it.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd be checking the crown if it were mine.

It looks like someone did a very crude hack job on it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Contrary to the butchered front sight the crown is sharp and true and its a great shooter. The cut and pin hack job is the reason I got a matching tula (recently)for $180.

Get the eye bleach ready.

After a little dremmeling the ATI stock fits snugly and locks up solid open or closed. The adjustable cheek piece works well for the height of the red dot and gives a good comfortable rest. The tapco gas tube cover does not wobble at all. The rail on the left is perfect for the weapon light and I omitted the rail on the right for a clean look. The stock is covered in sling studs for many different configurations of slings. The scout mount sight gives a two eyes open sight picture and you can still see the irons under the scope mount. The rifle is much more compact and ballances well with the stock extended. I am still in the market for an AFG2 to finish her off but I am very happy with its current configuration. All this tapcof&@%ing is easily reversible as I will be keeping the original stock parts and have not altered the rifle in any way.

Enjoy
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The question is will adding a folding pistol grip stock to a Russian SKS that has no bayo, no bayo lug, no threaded muzzle, nor detachable magazine, and is "low" capacity make it an assault weapon and therefore subject to 922r.  This is a question best answered by writing the Technology Branch.  My guess is it would NOT be subject to 922r unlike a Chicom SKS which definitely would be. Good luck.

HTH

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The question is will adding a folding pistol grip stock to a Russian SKS that has no bayo, no bayo lug, no threaded muzzle, nor detachable magazine, and is "low" capacity make it an assault weapon and therefore subject to 922r.  This is a question best answered by writing the Technology Branch.  My guess is it would NOT be subject to 922r unlike a Chicom SKS which definitely would be. Good luck.

HTH

Yes, it's still subject to 922R.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top