Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/6/2008 10:50:19 AM EDT
I just acquired an SKS from a friend of mine that needed more room in his safe.

From what I can tell I think it is Chinese some symbols that look chinese but to not match what is listed on the stickies. That and they are not int he receiver.) but I am not 100% sure where to look. I read most of the FAQ's and info stickies but being new to rifles in general some things I am still unsure of.

The bolt on the rifle will not come back. I have tried tapping it with a plastic hammer and still nothing. I searched on here for a few hours yesterday and ended up reading a ton of things which were great to know yet did not help me solve my problem.

I am not sure which route to take. There is no magazine in the rifle. Any thoughts would be great. The rifle has had the wood replaced with a TAPCO plastic stock with pistol grip and adjustable buttstock.

Once I figure out this issue I will try to do some more reading on the legalities of this set up. The 10 or more/less rule is still not making much sense to me.

Thanks for any help and I will be happy to visit this section as much as the AR15 section too.

Link Posted: 11/6/2008 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#1]
First thing to do is take the receiver cover off and make sure the recoil spring is put in correctly kinked end should go up into the bolt carrier if it's in backwards it can bind then make sure the bolt is installed carrectly,if you get that worked out you can just buy yourself a Tapco 20 rd mag it's made to work with the Tapco stock you already have.  Start by checking the recoil spring and taking the bolt out and see how it goes from there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good. IT has a plastic magazine with it. A 40 round one. I am assuming it is tapco also but I did not actually look on the mag itself.

My friend told me he had trouble with it feeding the ammunition. He wanted me to try it out and make sure it works fine before I actually purchase it.

I will take it apart tomorrow. I am assuming the tapco pistol grip comes off seeing that is the only way I know of to begin taking down the rifle innards.
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope Tapco only makes 20 rd mags or less for the sks that some other brand there kinda hit and miss most don't work well if at all,the original 10 rd  is best and the Tapco is the most reliable or the after market duckbill mags.

This will help on the stock removal
http://www.tapco.com/html/faq/menu/faq.htm
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. I was planning on using the standard 10rd mag. If I can get the 40 rd mag to work I will keep it for Zombie attacks.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#5]
For what it's worth, based on my experience, the 10-round fixed mag is the way to go.  I've never had any luck with the duckbill type aftermarket mags.  I haven't tried the Tapco ones, however.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I got the SKS unjammed. Lodged spent casing. Took some brute force but it worked.

Now to take it apart and clean it real good and head to the range friday.

Which models have the grenade launcher and sight? I am still trying to figure out whoe makes this rifle. I thought it was chinese but now I am not sure. I can't find any clear markings.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well I got the SKS unjammed. Lodged spent casing. Took some brute force but it worked.

Now to take it apart and clean it real good and head to the range friday.

Which models have the grenade launcher and sight? I am still trying to figure out whoe makes this rifle. I thought it was chinese but now I am not sure. I can't find any clear markings.

Make sure you clean that chamber really good. If a spent case (lacquer coated?) was stuck in there, it may have lacquer still attached to the chamber walls. You could try firing a few rounds to get the chamber nice and hot and clean it immediately after firing, might make it easier to get out. Plus if it is a Yugo, make sure you clean the gas shut-off valve (And make sure after you put it back together you put it back in the open position, which will be slightly turn to the right to lock the grenade sight down).

The Yugo SKS has the grenade launcher and sight.

Link Posted: 11/12/2008 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I won't be able to fire off any rounds prior to cleaning. It was a spent wolf casing so I am sure there is laquer in there. What is the recommended attach for these? This is my first rifle and my cleaning habits although good are limited to handgun knowledge.

~Eddie
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I won't be able to fire off any rounds prior to cleaning. It was a spent wolf casing so I am sure there is laquer in there. What is the recommended attach for these? This is my first rifle and my cleaning habits although good are limited to handgun knowledge.

~Eddie

Assuming you meant attacK, acetone and a chamber brush will take care of it.
Be careful where you drip the acetone though.  Only get it on the metal

ETA: you know, if it's really dirty and it sounds like it is. you can gently roll a patch, dip it in the acetone and insert it in the chamber and let it unroll in there (think of a rollpin).  It will press against the sides of the chamber holding the acetone in place to soften the layers of hardened lacquer, before you attack them with your brush.

ETA Part II.  I'm used to working with Yugo's and so didn't think of this during my first reply.
Since your SKS is not a Yugo, it probably has a chromed bbrl.  I'd avoid the acetone as it does not mix well with chrome lining.  Try another bore cleaner (non-acetone based)  sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the grenade launcher and sight so It should be a yugo. I will try the acetone. :D
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's a great picture tutorial that should help you disassemble your SKS.
That website also has a lot of great info on SKS's.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp

I would also recommend you use the original fixed 10rd. magazine. The reliability just isn't there on the after market ones.
Here's a website with original magazines for $20.
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/40/products_id/148?osCsid=6g9g25vsm4o0j65a7v4c7d3js7

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I took it to the range with the original magazine installed. Loading single shots it wasked fine. Loaded 2 rounds....jammed again. From reading another thread on here I am assuming it is the gas valve. I am going to order a new one...give it ANOTHER good cleaning and see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, based on my experience, the 10-round fixed mag is the way to go.  I've never had any luck with the duckbill type aftermarket mags.  I haven't tried the Tapco ones, however.

QFT

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top