Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2008 8:04:01 AM EDT
I looked around and found this at Midway:

Crowning Tool

And am wondering if there is a specific one for a 7.62 x 39 SKS barrel;

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Little expensive for a SKS.  I might get shot down for this, but this is what I did, and it worked.

3/8" carrage bolt (think that's what it's called).  You want the bolt that has a smooth dome shape.  If there are any raised lettering on the bold it needs to be ground and smoothed off.

Chuck the bolt into a drill.

Add automotive engine valve lapping compound to the muzzel and bolt head.

Grind the muzzel with the bolts head.  Not a 5 minute job!  I spent about an hour on and off grinding, adding compound, grinding etc...   The dome on the bolt will center itself on the muzzle.

After that it looked real even around the crown.  Once you start, your committed.  You ain't done till the finish is even all the way around the crown and the grinding reaches the riffling.  Now my muzzle has a sharp edge on the crown which is slightly recesses, not the round edge with several nicks from the factory.

My SKS will hold a 3" group off the bench at 100 yards, from what I hear that's damn good.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
That method is pretty well known "old school" and I have one SKS that is so far out, I will probably try it - thanks!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
That method is pretty well known "old school" and I have one SKS that is so far out, I will probably try it - thanks!

Yea, I got the method from this site several years ago.  Back when I was only stealing ideas and not contributing anything.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top