Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 1:46:53 PM EDT
I want to put a fake can on my M92 when I get it built so I can play with it until the SBR wait is over.

What are the requirements for mounting the can?  Does it have to be welded on?  If so, how bad will that screw up the barrel when I remove it?

These new M92 kits look SWEEEEEET and I don't want to mess up the looks.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
it depends on how you mount it, if you use silver paste you might hurt it.
if you blind pin it, just grind it away and remove with only a small hole in  the threads that can be touched up with a touch-up pen.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
it depends on how you mount it, if you use silver paste you might hurt it.
if you blind pin it, just grind it away and remove with only a small hole in  the threads that can be touched up with a touch-up pen.

What would "blind pinning" it consist of?  

Would a long flash hider be a better temporary option than a fake can?

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
it could, militarygunsupply has one and it is $60.00.

blind pin, consest of drilling a hole in the flash hider or fake can all the way through one side.
then drilling into the threads of the gun a little bit (not all the way through, of course), inserting a pin into the hole.
then on top you weld over the pin so you can close it up, it is permanent until you drill out the weld and take out the pin if you plan on SBR'ing it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Silver soldering with the Fusion paste from Brownells is very simple using a MAP torch.  The solder will flow before you get the barrel hot enough to damage it.  The key is not to get it beyond the gray-dark red color.  Bright red to orange is too hot and may damage the barrel.  I have been to many MG shoots where the guys run their rifles till they are red and seem to be OK afterwards when cooling with oil.  If you are concerned, have a reputable gunsmith put it on for you.  Silver solder is a gunsmiths best friend. JMHO
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:29:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Silver soldering with the Fusion paste from Brownells is very simple using a MAP torch.  The solder will flow before you get the barrel hot enough to damage it.  The key is not to get it beyond the gray-dark red color.  Bright red to orange is too hot and may damage the barrel.  I have been to many MG shoots where the guys run their rifles till they are red and seem to be OK afterwards when cooling with oil.  If you are concerned, have a reputable gunsmith put it on for you.  Silver solder is a gunsmiths best friend. JMHO

How had is it to remove if silver soldered?  Just heat and slide it off?

Yeah, I've fired FA AK's where we set the handguards on fire.  Not smoking, but flames!  Threw the gun in a mud puddle, wiped it off and went back to shooting.  Gotta love AK's!

Also, who carries fake cans for Krinks?  I may make my own, but if the price is low enough it will save me the effort.

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top