Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2002 2:43:23 AM EDT
I would like to hear from all of you concerning the excessive heat on the front end of a Krinkov.

I took both of my Krinkovs to Knob Creek and ran over a thousand rounds through each one.  As quick as I could load five mags, I would get on the firing line and shoot.

The heat buildup was unbearable.  You could not even hold the front of the weapon without burning your fingers.  The 7.62 actually "cooked" some of the finish on the fore grip.  Had it not been for a cup of leftover ice, I'm sure the wood would have burned.

Has anyone thought about retrofitting the lower wood grip with a heat shield?  And what about a "vented" metal guard on top??  I've seen the aftermarket ones for the AKs and SKSs.  

As the Krinkov and AKs are designed right now, there's no where for the heat to dissapate except for the narrow gap between the top and bottom handguards.  If you have a heat shield for the bottom, that will reflect the heat away and allow you to at least hold on to something while in a sustained firefight or blowing lead on the firing line.  The vented handguard on top would allow all the heat to vent out the top of the handguard.  Understand after 90 rounds, you would not be able to wrap your hand/fingers totally around the front end, but you would be able to at least hold on to the bottom handguard.....

Thoughts?  Opinions??

Krinkfreak
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 3:40:12 AM EDT
[#1]
you know id like to see a RAS made for the krinkov this way you can putt a V grip
and acc lights/laser.
yes i have seen the VEMON MANUFACTURING
grips and just don't like em
if any one has a link are know's
post it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:38:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Krinkfreak, BE A MAN! It ain't real til'ya melt your finger prints into the handguard. Try a drum on full auto.

One word for you Krinkfreak MEOW!!!!!! At least your boys weren't scared.

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE C2
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I lost my fingerprints from three fingers on my left hand from that barrel.  We really put it to the test.  But I gotta get rid of the heat!

KF
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 4:37:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I lost my fingerprints from three fingers on my left hand from that barrel.  We really put it to the test.  But I gotta get rid of the heat!

KF

Maybe you should take an oven mitt with you next time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:03:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Funny you should mention that....I actually thought about it while I was there!

KF
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:45:14 AM EDT
[#6]
kf.. i know EXACTLY what you mean about the heat i bumped a full 75 rnd drumm in several bursts ..and the bumped a few more 30 mags and the heat was intense!.. i took the jandguards off amd made me a "liner " similiar to the metal heat shield on a car 15 .. then i covered my hand gueards in a THICK layer of truck bed liner this by itelf mad a HUGE differenceamd the metal haetsheld as well.. the otherthing i did .. but it will not work with 40 rnd mags is ..i put a small 2 inch weaver rail on the front of my lower handguard..andthen installed  thesog "cheapest" forward paid grip... paid 26 bucks for the grip and rail at the last gun show ..it's now on my m-4 but i REALLY like it on the krink but it was almost impossible to stick a 40 rnd mag in thegun .. 3's wouldgo ok with just the slightest little angle
e-mail me for pics
john in houston
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone ever import the synthetic grips?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#9]
 I just got a bad visualization of Todd, Mike and myself wizzing on the barrel of your krink to cool it down whilst you prance around waving a flaming oven mitt in the air.
 You lost fingerprints and you're complaining!
Where is the downside to that!!

Today is give the Freak a hard time on the board day. BWAHAHAHAHA.

Chuck
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#10]
how about the EGRO fore grip? it looks like it would cant forward so that 40 round mags would work
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#11]
My solution... NOMEX!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey Tattoo Guy!!!!

Yeah, that would be funny as shit running around with a flaming oven mitt......

KF
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#13]
My first real exposure(other than fam training) to AK's was in SEA. My indig Nungs all had AK's and they wrapped rags around their hands before every patrol. I couldn't figure out why until my first fire fight.  As they were running and gunning I noticed they were also yelling and flapping their hands around.  It then occured to me that AKM's get really hot.  I know the genious I am =)  These AKM's got so hot some split the handguards in just a few minutes.  I got them all CAR15's and a few cases of burn ointment to boot.    
Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top