Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 6:25:10 AM EDT
Bought this rifle back in '93 and those threads being milled off have bugged me ever since.  Any suggestions?  Even replacing the barrel with a correct threaded unit is fine  by me.  Is this practical?  Who can do it?  What else can I do with this "artifact" from the Klinton administration?

I appreciate any answers or leads.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing to say? Can't believe no one else this been down this road.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I have seen in the past people thread the barrel 1/2''x28 . Global has 1/2"x28 special made slant brakes for their recent Bulgarian imported rifles. May have to call them for that. Only other option is to remove and replace the whole front end. Romanian kits/barrels are cheap right now.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have seen in the past people thread the barrel 1/2''x28 . Global has 1/2"x28 special made slant brakes for their recent Bulgarian imported rifles. May have to call them for that. Only other option is to remove and replace the whole front end. Romanian kits/barrels are cheap right now.

Hootbro

Hootbro -- I was afraid of that.  Threading that skinny remaining barrel section is not something I want to risk.  I guess replace the barrel it is.  Oh, well...thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Only other thing I seen that look half way decent, was to use a M-60 machine gun link  and use the loop portion for a shim. Shim was between the barrel end and a standard 14mm slant brake. It was tight enough of a press fit in that it was not going anywhere. In the end though, to do it right woulfd be another barrel. You can always cover part of the cost of a barrel swap buy selling the old one.

Hootbro
Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top