Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 9:32:15 PM EDT
Hi guys,
In here it is different.  The free states moving from Saiga to AK  We are moving from AK to Saiga.
Don't blame us...
Here is my question...
I have AK EWBANK receiver and Saiga trigger assembly with batstock.  I am planning to build Saiga-stile rifle on AK receiver with Romanian kit.  
Is anybody can give Saiga receiver template (trigger part) so I know where to cut and drill?
Any info on installing trigger assembly would be helpfull.
Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#1]
There is actualy another plate on the bottom of the reciever and two holes to the rear of the reciever. I do not have an I.P.B. to post so sorry about that. I am not sure what you are asking for and I am no gunsmith but will help the best I can from memory of what I saw when I took it apart. I will have no time to measure any thing until this weekend but if you I.M. me friday I will measure some stuff on Saturday for you and try to post some pics. Sorry you have to go through this in Kalifornia. Have you considered just geting a Saiga? They are decent rifles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Greatly appreciated for you help.
It is not argent mater. I still working on another project.
The Saiga is shady area in California.  Saiga banned by combination “Saiga-Kalashnicov USA” Formally it should be OK because Saiga has different importer now, but FFL prefer not  touch this.  VEPR is OK.  I got one
Thank a lot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
So what youre saying is that you're going to convert an AK into a saiga hunting style rifle???  Hell I have the old plate and trigger assembly from my saiga(223) before conversion if that is ANY help to you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you imagine that??? Convert AK-47 into hunting rifle??? Liberal Paradise here, guys.
Don't blame me for that, I just got my US citizenship year ago
When you say "plate" you mean additional part? It seems I don't have plate but have trigger assembly.  Another missing part is two shafts (pins?)for trigger and hummer. I have them but they drilled on one side. Regular rivets should be OK?  I might post pictures later.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Greatly appreciated for you help.
It is not argent mater. I still working on another project.
The Saiga is shady area in California.  Saiga banned by combination “Saiga-Kalashnicov USA” Formally it should be OK because Saiga has different importer now, but FFL prefer not  touch this.  VEPR is OK.  I got one
Thank a lot.

Please do not be offended at what I am going to say.

#1. Why in the world are you trying to make an AK to be like a Saiga when you can get a VEPR????
To each his own though. I am not making fun of you.
#2 Congrats on your citizenship .
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Vepr has to have fixed magazine with pistol grip.  So I have to pin it and install pistol grip after that.
Only way to have detachable magazine is to have "hunting rifle" stock to comply with "Kalifornia Liberal Low". Another reason to have it build is after 2 or 3 month DOJ might come up with another list and ban any AK based assembly as "assault weapon".  So we trying to get everything we can right now.
I am not offended anyway.  Just feel little strange because problem we are facing here way away from problem of "free states".
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow. Well any info that I can get to help you I will. I hope the build goes well.  You should be able to do it because the Saiga is an AK reciever with mods done to it so a Saiga is a converted AK.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I am about to finish my first AK build with Romanian kit. No surprises so far. It is little strange to deal with stamped receiver.  Never seen before.  I grew up on milled.
For Saiga build I need to cut additional hole for trigger and move trigger group back toward buttstock.  Just don't know for how much.  I can estimate approximate length based on connector length.  But I don't want to mess with trigger without precise measurement.
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#9]
No extra holes are in the bottom of the reciever. I think if my memory serves me correctly the Saiga trigger sticks through the grip hole.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

This web page should give you some good ideas and pictures from a reverse engeneering perspective. Like the one gentleman said the plate and stuff he had wuold be helpful. If I still had mine I would mail them to you just because I can not stand CA politicians.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you, guys for support.
It seems to me only part I am missing is "L" shped plate I see here:
http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_2.htm
It would be great to know how far I have move trigger back.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I've done a couple of conversions on saiga .308.  If you use the offset trigger from a .308, you could use the standard trigger and hammer holes.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Assembled trigger finally.  Works great. Crisp.
Another issue what to do with saiga original pins?? They are drilled from one side  and even with receiver surface.
Options:
1. drill and tap pin and put screw outside of receiver
2. cut groove next to pin head inside receiver and use e-clips to fix it
3. Find another pins.  the size is 1.75 x 4.75 +- 0.01  AK pins have diameter to big.  Not an option. Suggestions?

Also trigger guard/magazine catch.
I am planning to cut original AK trigger to leave mag catch only, but for trigger guard I have to come up with something:
1. Take another AK trigger guard/mag catch and cut-off mag catch
2. Find saiga trigger guard.  Anyone has it from previous "normal" conversions? I assume the saiga trigger guard replaced by AK trigger guard/mag catch

thank you
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top