Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/31/2006 10:05:26 AM EDT
So I finally got my new VEPR 7.62 out to the range this last week.  I'm having a serious issue with its failure to chamber rounds.  I was using Wolf and Olympic ammo in a Bulgarian Circle 10 waffle mag and Romanian (I believe) mag.  Numerous times in each magazine, the bullets would catch on a little plate screwed in underneath the entrance to the chamber.  

There is a lip on one end of the plate closest to the magazine and this is what seems to be snagging the bullets. If this plate was put in in the other direction, it would look like it was designed to be a feed ramp...  Should I just file this down?

It's a bit frustrating to have a 550 dollar AK that won't even chamber the first round reliably.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I would be pissed too. Can you post pics of the plate?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd be pissed too.  I got my VEPR last month and absolutely love it.  Don't let this discourage you here, some of the VEPR guys here will make sure you get her running.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll try to take some pics tonight.  Are they hard to post up?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]

I was using Wolf and Olympic ammo in a Bulgarian Circle 10 waffle mag and Romanian (I believe) mag.

Try using another mag (not the Promag that came with the gun) if you have access to it.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I was using Wolf and Olympic ammo in a Bulgarian Circle 10 waffle mag and Romanian (I believe) mag.

Try using another mag (not the Promag that came with the gun) if you have access to it.  

That is absolutely correct. I didn't catch the "I believe". Is there actually a 10 in a circle on the mag? RA has been sending out pro-mag waffles and they are complete junk. Everyone who uses one has the exact same problem. Also, I can help you host pics if needed. Let us know when you have them, but first check the mag. No circle 10 = no good.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I have pictures.  Is there an easy way to post them or do I have to go to an image hosting place?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is the waffle mag...

http://i1.tinypic.com/n187ie.jpg

Here is the plate that the bullets catch on.  They tend to run straight into the edge of that plate and jam.  I have a nice collection of bullets that are an 1/8 inch shorter than they are supposed to be.  Sorry about the focus...

http://i1.tinypic.com/n18duc.jpg

Here is the plate with the waffle mag inserted...

http://i1.tinypic.com/n18e8g.jpg

Can you tell that the wife likes Persian cats?
Does everyone else have this same plate/ramp?  Is it possible that both of my mags are bad?

Bannock

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#9]
It's molded in.  That's the mag that came with the gun when I bought it new.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had the same problem with Wolf Hollow point.
It really isn't a problem, its just a mistake from the factory.

What happens is when the bolt is trying to strip the round from the right side of the mag, the nose of the round sits too low and doesn't clear the feeding ramp (If the feeding ramp sits to high it could occurs with both left side and right side rounds but the fix is the same).

Anyway do this and it will fix it:

1. Unscrew the feeding ramp (hex bolt, just before the chamber)
2. use dremel tool, or similar to make that "shiny" part of the feeding ramp little lower and more round. Don't take off too much, as very little will probably fix the problem anyway.

Screw it back, manually check for feeding ability. if it works, then unload, unscrew the hex bolt and put some lock tight on it, and screw it back.

I also just noticed that on one of the pictures of the feeding ramp, there are yellow dots on left and right side of the feeding ramp lip. Those yellow signs are actual point of contact where bullet hits it and doesn't clear it. The seem to be way toooo low, so regular filing or sanding isn't going to do it. First check the mag, and people said before it could be the mag sits too low. If the problem occures with other mags then file down the feeding ramp.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#11]
If I were you, the first thing I would do is contact Robinson Armament and they should make it right for you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Rob Arm is a good company (I never heard any bad stuff about them).

Shipping will cost: 20$ one way and 20$ back (even if they pay for back).
+
Shipping will take 1-2 weeks + their turn around time another 2 weeks at least - total 4 weaks at least.

All of this for such a simple procedure???

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is a picture of my reciever. After comparing the two, I think you may have a magazine or other problem, your rounds look like they might be getting pushed downward instead of straight out. I would try some other magazines first with hollowpoint and FMJ ammo. Then if you are still having a problem, contact Robarm and they should take care of it. Ask for a new rifle.

Or you could always dremel it down like the above guy mentioned, but I wouldnt want to do that.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the ideas.  I'm wondering if it's possible that the mag catch is slightly off resulting in a lowered or angled magazine...  Can anyone post a picture similar to mine with the empty magazine for comparison?  I used the Bulgy waffle in that picture.  MST2:  From your picture, it looks like your plate might be thinner than mine... can you check?  I'm going to call Rob Arm now and see what they have to say about it, I'd really prefer not to have to send it to them.

Bannock
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Try shimming the mag with tape and/or holding it into the catch by hand.

That would tell you if it is an out-of-spec latch that is causing the problem!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not really sure what you mean by shimming the magazine.  I don't think that I could shim it at all.  With the Romanian mag, the clearance is so tight on the mag release that it is pretty tough to use it.  The Bulgy is smooth as butter.

I was thinking that maybe the was a manufacturing flaw that would result in the magazine sitting lower.  After looking at it again, I'm not sure that would even be possible...

I've tried calling Robinson for the last couple hours and can't get through.  They must be busy people.

Bannock
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll get you some more pictures up real soon.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy FMJ ammo.

Buy the cheapest POS Polish or whatever mag you can find that isn't a promag.

If it still messes up, send it back.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Guys. I called Rob Arm today.

As I stated previously they are greate people to deal with.

Forgot the name of the guy, but he was very friendly, and helpfull.

He explained that very few veprs have this problem, and that it is caused by the feeding ramp.
Even though I had my problem fixed(my self, by making the ramp little bit rounder) - I pretended like I didn't do anything :)

He offered two things:
1. I send vepr to them, they fix it and send it back.
2. They just send me adjusted feeding ramp, which has the modification already done.

I selected the second one (he also like the second one better, its cheaper and faster for both of us).

Anyway. He was helpfull, nice, and friendly. So give them a call and I am sure your problem will be resolved as fast as mine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:38:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Thank you.  I'll try calling them again today and see if they will take care of it.  Now I just have to find some ammo to test it out with.  I'm in Fargo, ND and it doesn't seem like there is anything around anymore that is cheaper than $10 a box... almost all of the Wolf and such was dried up when I bought the rifle a couple months ago.

Thanks for all the help, I can't wait to get this thing running like an AK should.

Bannock
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Well I finally got a hold of Robinson today.  They were nice enough to send me out a new feed ramp so hopefully that will straighten things out.  

He also mentioned that the XCR is almost ready for production.  He said that they have 4 rifles finished for testing and promotion.  He claimed that they are getting ready for production by stockpiling all the necessary parts and making sure they are all good quality and then production is gonna start.  Would be cool if that happens sometime before Christmas.  him
Bannock
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:02:37 AM EDT
[#23]
almost ready for production.

I heard that once about some Vepr folding stocks or something I think.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I asked about those as well and he made it sound like that since they are using the same stock on the Vepr and the XCR, they will be ready for sale at about the same time.  Don't quote me on that but it's the impression I got from our conversation.

I asked him if the XCR is as good as Robinson's hype and he said that he hadn't shot it yet.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#25]
It looks like they were using ace stocks and charging more for them if you ask me. I do not see them being any better than what ACE makes any way. If I realy want one I will go that route since one of my pet peaves is a manufacture telling you they are going to make something and you never see it.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top