Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/7/2006 6:06:15 PM EDT
Where to purchase these items? Many web sites I have seen seem to be sold out.
Are there any models to stay away from?
Are these all considered rebuilds or manufactured from kits?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Found One

It is a ROMAK-3 / FPK SNIPER RIFLES.

Can I get feedback on this item?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not a true Dragunov.  A Romak 3 is an AK on steriods. The SVD is a very diffrent rifle.  Do a search od the AK forum.  Recently there was a very informative thread on this.  My computer-fu sucks or I'd do the linky thing for you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
If you go w/the FPK/PSL then get an original Romanian build and not one made from a parts kit here in the US. W/my Romak-3, original 4x scope & Russian '188' surplus I could consistently hit the 18" gong at 500m.
As mentioned earlier the Dragunov is a completely different animal although in 7.62x54 you may not notice much difference in the accuracy department (this due to the absence of true lightweight 7.62x54 match ammo).
The .308 NDM-86 Dragunov is a different story as with 168gr match ammo it's capable of surprising accuracy. Check out my posts/pics here: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=80037
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't like my PSL all that much mainly because I couldn't get it to fire consistent groups. Sometimes it would be reasonably accurate but never more than 2-3 shots at a time and it seemed that I got fliers more than I got predictable hits. I tried several different kinds of ammunition and in the end sold it because it just wasn't working for me. My experience seems to be uncommon, most people seem to do alright with them, but keep in mind it's not really a great long range rifle if thats what you're looking for.

For intitial cool factor they are alright, but once you've shot them for a bit you realize its just a very large AK...which has it's own appeal, but nothing to write home about.

Just my .02 rupee's, not knocking the rifle.

Z

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Do not forget they like to extend their range also. 100yrds is realy 50 and 200yrds is realy 100 and so on.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:24:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I didn't like my PSL all that much mainly because I couldn't get it to fire consistent groups. Sometimes it would be reasonably accurate but never more than 2-3 shots at a time and it seemed that I got fliers more than I got predictable hits. I tried several different kinds of ammunition and in the end sold it because it just wasn't working for me. My experience seems to be uncommon, most people seem to do alright with them, but keep in mind it's not really a great long range rifle if thats what you're looking for.

For intitial cool factor they are alright, but once you've shot them for a bit you realize its just a very large AK...which has it's own appeal, but nothing to write home about.

Just my .02 rupee's, not knocking the rifle.

Z

People like to inflate their accuracy results on the internet. I have no idea why as it does a dis-service to anyone reading but they do it.  I too scratched my head over why a rifle (not a PSL) would not group when I read several posts about what a "good shooter" it was.  When I privately contacted the people who posted i was told "Well it got me that group once, but never repeated it" or some nonsense. I have also been to the range with people, saw their large groups, then later read their online post where they claimed to have gotten MOA results!  I am very skeptical about what I read now.

Probably cause they want everybody to think they are Carlos Hathcock with an AK. I take all that with a grain of salt. Now, If someone posts pics of thier groups.....Thats a little more believable. I like pics more anyways. Dont tell me about your plum furniture and all that jazz...Lemme see some pics. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we will have a range report on my .308 VEPR complete with pics and all. We need something like that tacked......But we got too much stuff tacked here already. We need to put all that stuff on a seperate site and tak a thread with links to all of it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:36:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Probably cause they want everybody to think they are Carlos Hathcock with an AK. I take all that with a grain of salt. Now, If someone posts pics of thier groups.....Thats a little more believable. I like pics more anyways. Dont tell me about your plum furniture and all that jazz...Lemme see some pics. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we will have a range report on my .308 VEPR complete with pics and all. We need something like that tacked......But we got too much stuff tacked here already. We need to put all that stuff on a seperate site and tak a thread with links to all of it.

Pics? How about these, all shot w/my .308 NDM-86 using 168gr match ammo?:

.44" 4-shot ctc group at 100yds:

.24" 3-shot ctc group at 100yds:

4.5" 3-shot ctc group at 500m:

If the wind cooperates and I do my part I can consistently hit the 36" gong at 900m. The accuracy potential of the NDM-86 never ceases to amaze me.
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Sweet rifle.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I get erratic groups out of my Tigr,but I've only tried surplus light ball from Armenia and Poland,I'd like to find some match grade 148 gr 7.62x54R.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
...I'd like to find some match grade 148 gr 7.62x54R.

And that, my friend, is the fly in the ointment where the 7.62x54 Drags are concerned. Should such a load ever become available I think it would be very interesting to see how it compares accuracy-wise w/the .308 & 168gr match ammo.
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'd like to find some match grade 148 gr 7.62x54R.

Why not whip up a batch?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]
the sniper round was actually imported in bulk some years ago.  I have seen the cans marked that way.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not whip up a batch?

AFAIK there are no lightweight (appx 150gr) match grade .311 caliber bullets available.
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not whip up a batch?

AFAIK there are no lightweight (appx 150gr) match grade .311 caliber bullets available.
Tomac

I did not know that. Well, that really screws things up, huh?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I get erratic groups out of my Tigr,but I've only tried surplus light ball from Armenia and Poland,I'd like to find some match grade 148 gr 7.62x54R.

have you tried wolf's new gold match 7.62x54r?  as well as Prvi Partisan?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#17]
From Dragunov.net:

"The 7N1 was the original load developed by Russian armorer Sabelnikov in conjunction with the development of the SVD back in the late 1950's. It has a steel jacketed projectile with an air pocket, steel core, and a lead knocker in the base. The 7N14 is a new load developed for the SVD. It consists of a 151 grain projectile which travels at the same 2723 fps, but it has a lead core projectile and is supposed to be the more accurate of the two. Nikolai Bezborodov, head of R&D at Izhmash, stated that it was the most accurate load for the SVD."

I would be very very suspicious of anyone selling 'real' 7N14 ammunition.

Quoted:
the sniper round was actually imported in bulk some years ago.  I have seen the cans marked that way.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top