Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2005 12:39:11 PM EDT
After getting a chance to handle a real VEPR K 7.62X39 for the first time yesterday at the local gun shop, I'm impressed.  This gun feels like a real shooter with its hefty 1.6mm receiver.   I have other AKs  (SA85M, MAK90) that are good but I like this better.  Price is about $650 new and I'm thinking about getting it.

A few questions:

The furniture that RobArms put on VEPRs does not look great to me.  Functional but not the traditional AK look that I like.    Just to confirm, there are no US made aftermarket replacements for VEPRs?

This particular gun has the flashhider which looks like a non-standard design that RobArms came up with.   What is the general consensus to put on VEPRs, flashhider or brake?    

Anything else to look out for on this?  

Thanks from a potential VEPR recruit.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine. I put a Harris bipod on it and a 100 round chinese drum. My finger gets tired! pic to come.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
VEPRs are awesome. My personal favorites. I do think $650 is a bit high, I think from FBMG, Inc it would be a little less than $590 shipped (with flash hider or brake), but then you have to add an FFL fee, usually $25-$35. They are out of stock right now. The only problem is that they are very scarce right now, and Rob. Arms. says there will be some more imported this month. You have to take everything they say with a grain of salt.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A few questions:

The furniture that RobArms put on VEPRs does not look great to me.  Functional but not the traditional AK look that I like.    Just to confirm, there are no US made aftermarket replacements for VEPRs?

It would be very hard or impossible to put traditional furniture on the VEPR. Shoot it like it is and I bet you would change your mind about the current configuration.

This particular gun has the flashhider which looks like a non-standard design that RobArms came up with.   What is the general consensus to put on VEPRs, flashhider or brake?    

Depends on what you want most. Flash reduction, or less recoil. I am about to order another VEPR in .308 and was going to get it with a flash hider, but have decided to just have the barrel threaded and use a Vortex or Phantom.

Other than the furniture (which I personally love) this is the best shooting AK on the market.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Do it man. It is a fantastic rifle. The 7.62x39 Ks are a little hard to come buy at this moment too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:35:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Cant go wrong with a VEPR. You can get a stock adaptor for it to take regular AK buttstock and pistol grips but no forerail adaptor yet. However the ultimak will fit on it nicely. And I also think $650 is a little too high. I would try to talk him down. But you will love the gun if you get it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]
+1.  You cant go wrong with a VEPR.  I am very happy with mine, I only wish the muzzle was factory threaded; I think the set-screw comp is cheesy.
$650 is a bit high even for the flash hider model, I wouldn't pay any more than $600.
The only disadvantage to a VEPR is the inability to customize it with readily available AK accessories.

-JD
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I paid 600 for my 7.62x39 VEPR K w/o flash hider. It was worth it to pay a little more for it from a local dealer and avoid shipping/transfer hassle.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]
their site says the russians delayed the expected dec. shipment of veprs till jan or feb.
I've been waitin patiently on a vepr k in 7.62 for a while, I might shop for something different, but that said, you might buy 1 if you saw it and were impressed with it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:05:14 AM EDT
[#9]
The RobArms website shows the former MSRP was $600 (currently $550, but Out of Stock) and MSRP on the brake is $50, so that dealer is pretty much asking MSRP at $650. Since NIB VEPRs in 7.62 are pretty hard to find right now, the dealer seems to be pricing for demand/supply.

My -K in .223 has a brake, and it does a great job keeping the barrel under control.

VEPRs have a non-standard one-piece foregrip (no front grip plate, only a single-screw barrel attachment point) and the receiver has an angle cut which is also non-standard (a sharper angle than an angle-cut MAK). Owners who have done stock conversions have had to fabricate their own rear receiver fill plates to straighten out the cut (the sharp cut leaves almost no receiver metal for a standard AK PG to rest against) and their own or modified ACE receiver blocks to form attachment points for non-wood stocks, mostly ACE or AR-15 style skeletons. VEPRs have the RPK-style receiver with the heavier 1.5mm metal and the reinforced front trunion, and RobArms has carried through by installing its own RPK-style stock, which BTW has a one-piece stock/PG which solves the issue of the lack of receiver metal for the PG to rest against.

Just a guess, but they may be doing all this to minimize 922r issues with the BATF by ensuring that standard AK parts are not easily substituted.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The RobArms website shows the former MSRP was $600 (currently $550, but Out of Stock) and MSRP on the brake is $50, so that dealer is pretty much asking MSRP at $650. Since NIB VEPRs in 7.62 are pretty hard to find right now, the dealer seems to be pricing for demand/supply.

My -K in .223 has a brake, and it does a great job keeping the barrel under control.

VEPRs have a non-standard one-piece foregrip (no front grip plate, only a single-screw barrel attachment point) and the receiver has an angle cut which is also non-standard (a sharper angle than an angle-cut MAK). Owners who have done stock conversions have had to fabricate their own rear receiver fill plates to straighten out the cut (the sharp cut leaves almost no receiver metal for a standard AK PG to rest against) and their own or modified ACE receiver blocks to form attachment points for non-wood stocks, mostly ACE or AR-15 style skeletons. VEPRs have the RPK-style receiver with the heavier 1.5mm metal and the reinforced front trunion, and RobArms has carried through by installing its own RPK-style stock, which BTW has a one-piece stock/PG which solves the issue of the lack of receiver metal for the PG to rest against.

Just a guess, but they may be doing all this to minimize 922r issues with the BATF by ensuring that standard AK parts are not easily substituted.

That could be but what about all the other rifles like the WASR that takes the standard furniture. Now I like the Vepr furniture better any way but who knows. Maybe it is different for different countries imorting stuff. I also wonder why the Russians would hold the shipment up. You think they would want the money coming in .
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
After getting a chance to handle a real VEPR K 7.62X39 for the first time yesterday at the local gun shop, I'm impressed.  This gun feels like a real shooter with its hefty 1.6mm receiver.   I have other AKs  (SA85M, MAK90) that are good but I like this better.  Price is about $650 new and I'm thinking about getting it.

A few questions:

Get it man! You'll hardly regret it
Price is a little bit high I think. I've got my 20" VEPR in 7.62x39 for $550 from Impact Guns about three months ago, but with the current shortage of VEPR 7.62x39 that price is worth IMO. Or maybe the 16" K version is just more expensive.
You also have the double-plus of not having to deal with RobArms, possibly the worst (well, there are another two-three names I can think of) dealer online.
Such a frigging shame that a quality product like VEPR is sold by those bozos

- Ice
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Such a frigging shame that a quality product like VEPR is sold by those bozos

- Ice

Amen brother, such a shame.  There is so much wasted potential with the VEPR.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#14]
My SHTF VEPR and some mags and ammo. Thats a 100 rounder in the rifle.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

tinypic.com/iy0y7t.jpg

That's it? That wouldn't even fill half my chest rig. J/K Nice setup!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/iy0y7t.jpg

That's it? That wouldn't even fill half my chest rig. J/K Nice setup!

Thanks, that is one cool avatar you got there. Is that a Christmas ornament?
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top