Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/12/2005 1:02:23 PM EDT
I need advice.  I took my new vepr k 7.62 x 39 to the range today and had failure to feeds on every magazine- usually on the last round in the mag.  On every FTF, the bullet tip would be canted upward and it stuck on the top of the chamber.  The gun was throughly cleaned before use.  Here are the likely culprits:

1.  Wolf hollowpoint ammo
2.  The mag that came with the gun.  It was the only mag I used.  While it looked like a bulgy waffle mag, it acutally appears to be a Promag.  There is no "circle 10" marking and no metal inserts/base plate.  

What do you guys think may be the problem?  What mags will this gun use reliably?

Other than that, the rifle is great.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I was given a promag by RA too. so far, no problems what so ever using wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the Bulgy mag that came with it and all varieties of steel mags including drums. I have had no problems at all.

Contact Robinson Armament and I am sure they will take care of you, I have heard they have good customer service, but I have never had to utilize it.

All I have shot out of it is Wolf FMJ.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I would try a different mag. It may not be the mag but Pro Mag has a bad reputation for their mags not working. Also make sure the magazine is locked in all they way (I am not trying to be insulting) and try using fmj or another brand of ammo. I have heard of some peoples Veprs not liking the Wolf HP although it runs fine through mine. Hope that helps some.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I will contact Robarm on this.  Funny, I have only had problems w/ the three most reliable systems in the world- the AK, and IMI Uzi, and a 1911.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

2.  The mag that came with the gun.  It was the only mag I used.  While it looked like a bulgy waffle mag, it acutally appears to be a Promag.

Thanks

That would be your problem!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I will contact Robarm on this.  Funny, I have only had problems w/ the three most reliable systems in the world- the AK, and IMI Uzi, and a 1911.

You must have some bad luck, The firearms that I have never had 1 problem with are my AK's, my UZI and my 1911.

My 7.62x39 VEPR K works flawlessly with all 75 round Romanian drums, 30 round Bulgarian Waffle Mags, 20 round AMD-65 mags, 30 round steel mags, and 30 round Polish smooth side polymer mags.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had the exact same problem. The palstic mag is very nice looking but its crap. Get some old beat up AK mags and your problems will go away.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:39:09 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for the mag being the issue.

I have a few Bulgie mags that are a bit touchy when loaded in my VEPR II.  It seems like the lip on the front of the mags isn't always molded cleanly, so the mag sometimes doesn't lock in correctly.
It will still load, but will sometimes FTF until you pull it out and reinsert it, making sure to seat it in properly.

I took a Dremel to mine to clean up that area, and no more problems.

By the way, I have NO problems with any of the steel mags/drums.  And they are cheaper and easier to find.  The last gun show, you could get 20rd mags for $9, and 30rd mags for $10 - either E. German or Romy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Contacted Robarm.  They said that it was most likely the mag the came with the gun.  They are going to send me a new one.  I will let you know what happens.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:53:41 AM EDT
[#11]
They used to send good mags. I wonder why they are shipping a pro-mag with such a nice rifle. It is like having a pig sitting in you Cadilac.

If you can find some bulgarian steel mags they are real nice and a lot of people like the norinco mags also. Even the romanian steel mags should work fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#12]
i just got a k 7.62x39 with a crap all plastic waffle too.  it won't feed the last 3 or 4 rounds.  hopefully they'll get me a good one.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I just saw a great deal in sportsman guide to night for 10 30rd steel mags used in very good condition for $25. You can not beat that. even if you replaced the springs with wolff springs which is something you guys with the garbage promag mags could do and it would probably help.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just saw a great deal in sportsman guide to night for 10 30rd steel mags used in very good condition for $25. You can not beat that. even if you replaced the springs with wolff springs which is something you guys with the garbage promag mags could do and it would probably help.

Do you have a link to that? I can't sem to find it on their website.
Thanks, brothermak
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Problem solved- it turned out to be the Mag.   I put 300+ rounds through other mags (not Promag) without a problem using both FMJ and hollowpoint ammo.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Yep Pro Mag is basicaly garbage. I still can not believe Robinson is shipping those with their rifles.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top