Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 1:03:44 PM EDT
Guys - you're opinions please...I currently have an Oly Arms CAR97-M4 (love it) and shoot it enough that it made sense to reload .223 Rem.  I've been eyeballing the VEPRs though.  Anyway, do you think it would be better to go with the .223 or 7.62 version.  Basically, it will be a range / home defense gun, much like the AR.  

BTW, I shoot my weapons...no safe queens in this house, if that makes a difference

thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#1]
For what its worth I would go with a 7.62, Just my opinion that its a better round not on paper but if you ever have to use it for home defense.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
For what its worth I would go with a 7.62, Just my opinion that its a better round not on paper but if you ever have to use it for home defense.

+1

You already have a .223, so try the 7.62x39. You can also get it in .308, but that may be overkill for home defense. (Really just depends on how much you like your neighbours.)
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:18:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to break the trend here, go with the .223, more ammo availability and  choices, including match loads. One ammo two guns!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:20:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both. The mag issue is not as bad with the .223 now. I have been seeing more of the Bulgarian waffle mags around and the black ak74 mags you can convert. So realy it is up to you. If you want a drum mag you better go with the 7.62x39. I saw one .223 drum once in my life and it was an unreal amount of money. Longer distance go .223. Cheaper and easier to get mags and more knock down power go with 7.62x39.

Edit:No safe queens in my house either all guns get used just like they should. I almost got a special edition Sgt York (one of my heros) 1911 and guess what if I would have it would get shot too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks everyone
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#7]
You could always get one of each, pick the one you like shooting most, and let the other keep the safe warm - j/k.

If you already reload .223, then the .223 VEPR might make sense, lots of ammo, and more types of ammo is available for it.  Drop in a Red Star trigger group, and it will give your Oly a run for the money.  I'm not saying it will ever be as accurate as an AR, but my VEPR K does a great job in 3-gun matches.

As everyone else has already pointed out, it is easier to find mags, accessories for the 7.62x39.

The 7.62x39 will have more knock-down power for those stubborn bowling pins, but you will be able to reach the ones farther out better with the .223

I have both, bought the 7.62x39 VEPR II first, and then the .223 VEPR K.  

If you are looking for something with a little more thump to it, get the 7.62x39.  But you can't go wrong with either one.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top