Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 4:12:08 PM EDT
First the backgound info:

My wife recently bought a Saiga .410 shotgun (thanks, Shooter521) for deer hunting. She took her first deer (a small buck) with a single shot .410 last year, but wanted to upgrade to a semi-auto shotgun with optic this year. I'd rather her use a 20-gauge, but breast cancer surgery a few years ago prevents her from applying any shock to her arm. I just restrict her shots to around 25 yards with the .410 slugs, and all is well.

Now for the questions:

She really likes the looks of AK rifles, and has expressed interest in having hers converted to pistol grip after the season is over this fall.

1. Does the conversion use her existing buttstock?

2. Does the receiver need to be refinished after the conversion?

3. I may have an extra Bulgarian side-folder and all latching hardware left over from a build. Can this be used on her shotgun if I decide not to sell the stock outright instead?

4. I need to use five 922(r) compliance parts, correct?

5. Who does a good conversion for a reasonable cost?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
First the backgound info:

My wife recently bought a Saiga .410 shotgun (thanks, Shooter521) for deer hunting. She took her first deer (a small buck) with a single shot .410 last year, but wanted to upgrade to a semi-auto shotgun with optic this year. I'd rather her use a 20-gauge, but breast cancer surgery a few years ago prevents her from applying any shock to her arm. I just restrict her shots to around 25 yards with the .410 slugs, and all is well.

Now for the questions:

She really likes the looks of AK rifles, and has expressed interest in having hers converted to pistol grip after the season is over this fall.

3. I may have an extra Bulgarian side-folder and all latching hardware left over from a build. Can this be used on her shotgun if I decide not to sell the stock outright instead?

Thanks.

You'll need to change the buttstock . I would not use the metal folder since recoil is an issue . Ace folder or std stock.  5 us parts for sure , dont matter cause all the FCG  are thrown away  anyway . You will need to refinish the reciever .    www.Redstick-Firearms.com   , give me a call if you need help . Will
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My wife recently bought a Saiga .410 shotgun (thanks, Shooter521)

You're welcome.

No. But any standard AK stock will work.

Doesn't need to be, but most folks do. When you remove the plate covering the "real" trigger hole,  there's bare metal underneath. The refinish can be as low-tech as black engine paint, or as professional as Duracoat or Moly Resin. Up to you!

Can be, but the same receiver mods are required to put it on the shotgun as would be required to put it on a rifle. Not a D-I-Y proposition (whereas the rest of the conversion might be). And I'd second Redjacket's recommendation to forget about the folder if recoil is going to be an issue (although it might  not be bad at all with the Bulgarian strap-on recoil pad).

Actually, Saiga shotguns only require 3, per the BATFE letter obtained by Wes @ Soupbowl Enterprises a couple years ago. So assuming you use a US-made trigger pack (hammer/trigger/sear), you're good to go.

Josh @ Newton Firearms (jnewt on this board) did my second Saiga-12. Unfortunately he's backed up until April '06.  I'm going to talk to Troy @ InRange about doing my -105 clone later this year, but you also might want to look into Piece of History Firearms, Investment Grade Firearms or Global Military Gunsmithing.

Later!

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
ace now has a sagia butstock that needs nothing. But to remove your butstock at add theres. make sure you have no more then 10  no us parts the lawers made ME add that part.  They have 3 legth of pulls 12" 13" 14" cost $125 for a non folder and $185 for a folding stock. sorry for gramer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:35:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top