Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/17/2005 11:57:01 AM EDT
So I’ve got a glock and its finished with their tennifer process so its pretty much invincible. I've got a Mossberg that’s parkerized...so I can count on that being pretty impervious to pretty much anything.

Now I’ve got a new VEPR K and I’d like to know what process was used to finish it. How resistant to rust are they? What do I have to watch out for? Basically, I’d like to know how concerned I should be with the finish of the gun. Should I freak out at every little scratch…what about deep ones?

The gun is black obviously, but what is it; just black paint? Has the metal been treated, hardened, anodized etc?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The receiver has been heat treated, but from all the information I have gathered, the final finish is really tough black paint.  Probably baked-on, but I have no way of knowing for sure.  It is tough, but not impervious to scratches.  I've touched mine up with a matte black enamel paint pen, and it's virtually impossible to see the scratches, unless you're looking for them.  I've never had a problem with rust, and the rifle has definitely seen some humid (and outright wet) summer days.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have heard of guys having the finish come off of their muzzle breaks with the amonia type cleaners. I use klean bore 3in one and have had no problem with mine. The finsh is not as near as tuff as what is on your Glock though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#3]
so in the future, if/when I want to have the gun refinished, what would you guys recommend as far as the hardest, most durable finish possible?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If I had mine done I would send it here. However you should not realy have a problem with it. I have two without the muzzle break and have not had one problem. If I had a muzzle break and the finish came off of it I would probably order a can of Alumihyde 2 from brownells and paint it and let it set two week then go to the range.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]
that METACOL looks like a pretty good option. I've also heard of other finishes such as Armor-Tuff or Gunkote...or something like that. Or I suppose I could hard chrome the whole thing
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I know. I am tempted and do not even have finsh problems however I have to many other projects ahead of that in line.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top