Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 2:47:00 PM EDT
Just picked up a new in box Saiga 7.62x39.  A few Q's that I am not sure about.  I bought it from Dunhams, there was only one 10rd mag and manual nothing else.  Are Saigas supposed to have cleaning kit, sling, and at least and extra mag?  I thought it should have and get the feeling that this stuff was scavenged from the box (manager told me they are not shipped with other accessories).  Also does Saiga make 5rd mags (huntin purposes)?  Upon checking I can see there are slight differences in mag specs so that the 5rd mags based off hi-cap specs do not work.  Is there a remedy for this???  I bought the rifle for white tail huntin (that would be deer type white tail not........., Ohh could you tell me what they look like, the deer type!!!) and would need 5rd mags.  I know there may be better options out there for the money as far as a huntin rifle goes, but you guys know how it is.........   Sorry if some of these Q's have been posted here in the past.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The first Saiga 7.62x39mm rifles were imported by B-west in 1995 and they came with 2-5rd mags,black rifle case,cleaning kit,cleaning rod,black plastic oil bottle,sling,and manual. Some were imported with a 3.5x scope and mount.
The first Saiga shotguns imported were 410 by Big Bear and had the same accessories as the B-west imported rifles.
1996-1999 the rifles and shotguns were imported by Kalashnikov-USA and for the first couple of years they imported them they had all the accessories that came with the B-west imported rifles. The rifle case didn't come with them the last couple years. In 1999 European American Armory started importing the Saiga rifles and shotguns. The number of accessories started to drop every year that EAA imported the Saiga's till they stopped importing Saiga's in 2004. The first to go was the extra 5rd mag followed by the oil bottle,sling,cleaning rod,and cleaning kit till the accessories ended up with what you got just a manual.
Some where around the end of 2002 or the first of 2003 Saiga 7.62x39mm rifles stopped coming with a 5rd mag and were imported with one 10rd mag.
Click on the link for the "Russian Rifles" page of my web pages for a pic of my B-west imported rifle with the factory scope.
mywebpages.comcast.net/jfreeman246/index.htm
You can cut a piece of 1/2" thick wood/plastic to fit inside the magazine spring of the 10rd mag so it will stop the follower from going down to far so that way the mag will only hold 5rds. This would be easier than trying to find a 5rd Saiga mag as all the extra mags I have seen for sale lately have been the 10rd.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#2]
buy an extra 10 round mag and cut the bottom off the mag body. Notice how there are two sets of mag plate retaining slots.  Just cut the bottom set off.  Of cource the mag limiter is a very good idea as well.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top