Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/7/2005 1:54:20 PM EDT
Id like to do an authentic russian AK100 series conversion, just looking for the cheapest and easiest way to build up an authentic 100 series rifle complete with folding stock.  Is the Saiga an easier rifle to convert than a Vepr?  I want to use the actual handguards also, not the Saiga/Vepr style long handguards, is there anything I should know about these or are the regular AK handguards a drop in fit?  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The Vepr is actually an RPK and the saiga is a better platform for a 100 series Kalashnikov.  The best way is probably through Chris Butler at www.ak-103.com  The cheapest may or may not be doing it yourself.  I like my Saiga conversion to an AK-103.  It was locally done but the party who did it is unreliable.  Makes good rifles but has timely delivery issues.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Id like to do an authentic russian AK100 series conversion, just looking for the cheapest and easiest way to build up an authentic 100 series rifle complete with folding stock.  

There is no "cheap" when you talk about 100-series conversions, if "correctness" is your goal. The folding poly stocks are hard to find and are quite pricey when you do.

If you're willing to settle for the "triangle" sidefolder, the easiest route would be to buy an already-built gun from someplace like Atlantic Firearms.  Alternatively, buy an Arsenal SLR-105, buy a sidefolder from K-VAR, and send it to your favorite AK-smith for installation.

Unless you can do the work yourself, having a Saiga converted is not a cost-effective way to go, IME.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Cheap to me is under $1000.  I do all my own work so finding a smith is not a problem.  I am having problems finding parts in stock such as the polymer folding stock, not the skeletonized folder from an AK74.  What I meant to say with the word "cheap" is that if I can find a saiga and a vepr, which will require the least mount of parts and which will be more troublesome to perform the work on.  Sourcing parts and a base rifle is my biggest problem.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the gas block the same?  I thought the 74 had more of an angle, while the 100 series looks more vertical?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is the gas block the same?  I thought the 74 had more of an angle, while the 100 series looks more vertical?

Na, I got confused...lol... You will need the 100 series deact kit from him. They are $550 last I checked.

Throwing on a Russian sidefolder would be the cheapest way to go..

Like Jnewt has said, the only source for the correct barrel parts are the Russian deactivated rifles. I dont even know if Andrei in Russia is still doing these, as they have been nothing but allot of customs hassle. A quicker, close enough for Gov't work deal would be for someone to simply drill in the dimples on the standard Bulgarian parts.

You can either keep the Bulgarian top cover for a early model, or replace it with a Saiga for a late.

Muzzle brakes can be found with some work, though there are some close US copies.

Ad a very dark matte plum Izhmash mag, and you are there.

It wont be a 100% collectors grade deal, but will capture the look very well as well as give you a unique rifle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
As long as it looks like this, this is all I want.  BTW, Id like to do it in .223.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought my AK-104 clone from a stock Saiga 7.62x39, I have about $450 into it and love it.  Just need to eventually paint it.

http://home.comcast.net/~hartzpad/DSC00039.JPG
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
If your planning on a .223 Saiga then plan on some major surgery. ALL of the dimensions on the barrel are off. (FSB,GB, HGR, they are all larger in diameterand there is no machining done for the HGR) The barrel will have to be removed, stripped and lathed. The magazine well has to be opened up and then the magazines are finiky. The Saiga 7.62 dimensions are good, so you may wish to do it.

I did both and bought some buttstocks from rusmilitary.com and a couple trunions. (Get on the backorder list)

PIC

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I think that the easiest and perhaps least expensive way to do this right now is to get an SLR105 with the scope rail and get a Russian side-folder stock then send it to your gunsmith for installation of the stock which is not easy as the receiver has to be cut in order to accomodate the stock and the latch. Chris Butler is selling SLR105s and if you send him the stock he can build the rifle for you right away. No need to worry too much about the US parts as the rifle would have 5 parts after instalation of the russian stock, and he can provide a US-made exact replica of the 100 series break so that brings it back up to 6.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:15:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top