Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/4/2005 5:48:57 PM EDT
So what's the story on the Vepr rifles?

Are they like the WASR10's in that they come to the U.S. as a "sporting rifle", one piece stock, 10 round single stack mag, then converted?

Are they like the AMD 65's and others that came to this country as a "parts kit" and just needed to be assembled into a receiver by a pro or any hoodlum in his garage?

Or are they like the Arsenal brand rifles that are professionally assembled here in the U.S.?

I'm curious because it is a very unique AK variation.  The prices ain't bad either!  I'm not an AK purist so the buttstock and that neat forend are, IMHO, an improvement.  The sling swivel studs are another good improvement.

Any help, links, and answers will be appreciated.

TIA,

2guntom
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#1]
They come as a sporting rifle assemble in Russia and Robinson converts them into the magnificent guns that they are. They are a great variation and finally there are enough parts to make them "tactical" if that is your thing. Take a look at the thread with VEPR and Ultimak tri-rail.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the previous post answers your direct question but allow me to add some to it FYI. Most other AKs can in no way be compared to the VEPR. AKS were not designed for accuracy The VEPR with its thick reinforced reciever and heavy barrel is accurate enough for the serious shooter out to 300 Meters even in the 7.62X39 caliber... some say it hangs with the stock AR in the accuracy department... I dont know about all that but it is no doubt more reliable and accurate enough. Though other AKs are tough, the VEPR is a damn tank of a rifle and there is positively no rattle no matter how hard you shake it. Most AKs fit and finish are shitty to halfway decent unless you get an Arsenal INC, then its great ... the VEPR looks like something Remington made; professionaly constructed and puuuuurty.

Try it, you ll like it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Great information!  Thank you very much!
I checked out Robinson a couple years ago.  I watched their movie where the guy demo's one of their rifles.  He was standing, firing at 200 yards, and it appeared that it was an extremely accurate rifle.  This was the full auto rifle.  Their website was quite adament about "military sales ONLY!", which made my lower lip get pouty and quiver.

If they do the conversion on the Vepr's, I have no doubt that they are an extremely exquisite rifle.  I know they are unique in appearance, that's for sure.  I'm certainly not an AK purist, but I like AK's just the same.  More important to me is function and performance.  It sounds like the Vepr just bumped up toward the top of the shopping list.

Thanks again for all the information.

2guntom
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#4]
  They are nothing like the WASR as far as quality goes they are way ahead of the WASR. Veprs are based on  RPKs and have the heavy reciever and barrel. They also come with a good trigger that you do not need to pull out and throw away. They are way more accurate than a WASR also. However if you are one of those guys that only wants a traditional style looking  AK you would be disapointed but if you want a rifle to shoot you will love it. I have a WASR also and it is ok but my VEPRs are nicer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Everybody, thank you for all of the information.  Please don't stop though.  It's really entertaining when you think you know something and find out you don't.  Everybody is setting me straight, and I appreciate it.

Adding to the original question, what is the barrel length on an RPK?  The Vepr offers the rpk-based receiver, etc., and some of the rifles have 20.5" barrels, so is that 20.5" barrel just like the RPK or not?

I'm asking a ton of questions for knowledge, but I need to know before my next rifle purchase.  I currently own a Russian and a Yugo SKS, two AMD 65's, and a WASR 10.  What I've learned thus far is that quality and reliability has a price tag attached.  At times I have wished that I coughed up the cash and got an Arsenal brand rifle.  But the SKS's have taught me that a 20+" barrel gives a better trajectory (less arc) for no fuss shooting between 25 and 200 yards.

I'm looking and comparing the Arsenal and Vepr rifles.  Pound for pound (more bang for the buck?) the Vepr looks like a better choice.  I can get the Vepr in a 16" or 20" barrel straight from Robinson with a factory installed flash hider for about $600.  From what I've seen, the Vepr's have a windage-adjustable rear sight, from the factory.  The Arsenal 16" is about $620, windage adj. rear sight add $30 plus shipping, no flash hider.  The Arsenal RPK is anywhere from $1200 and up, if you can find one.  The in-between lengths, I can't determine.  The length on some may be due to a stupid (worthless IMO) muzzle brake that I don't want.  And one more little bonus that is a plus for the Vepr, it has sling swivel studs.

I'm wanting to research everything thoroughly before the purchase, but it looks like I'll buy the Vepr over the Arsenal, but I may buy an Arsenal later anyway just to compare the two.

2guntomhttp://www.2guntom.com/454/group/2gunsfiring_v1.gif
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:57:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
RPK is 23", and a rather beefy thickness (another will chime in as I do not have the dia handy).

IMHO the longer sight radius of the 20" bbl has more to do with accuracy than extra bbl length helping velocity. If a 16" gets 2300fps, and an AMD65 in oem 12.5" form gets 2150fps, then not much powder is left to burn after 16".

Okay, very good.  I understand what you are saying about sight radius.  Accuracy matters greatly to me.  That is the whole point of my questions.

I certainly can't say that I know everything; I only know what I've experienced.  The SKS with a 20+" barrel allowed me to hit my target just a little high at 25 yards.  As the yardage increased (50, 75, 100, 150, and 200 yards) I was still able to hit my target without messing with the sights.  I was adjusting the windage on the AMD's and WASR at 50 yards.  When I dropped back to 100 yards the bullets were sailing over the target.  I wouldn't have had a clue where they were going except one nipped the top of the target holder.  That leads me to believe that the shorter barrels have a much higher apex in the rise and fall of the flight path.

As much as the 16" barrel appeals to me, the 20" Vepr might be the better choice for an all around, one size fits all rifle.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Everybody, thank you for all of the information.  Please don't stop though.  It's really entertaining when you think you know something and find out you don't.  Everybody is setting me straight, and I appreciate it.

Adding to the original question, what is the barrel length on an RPK?  The Vepr offers the rpk-based receiver, etc., and some of the rifles have 20.5" barrels, so is that 20.5" barrel just like the RPK or not?

I'm asking a ton of questions for knowledge, but I need to know before my next rifle purchase.  I currently own a Russian and a Yugo SKS, two AMD 65's, and a WASR 10.  What I've learned thus far is that quality and reliability has a price tag attached.  At times I have wished that I coughed up the cash and got an Arsenal brand rifle.  But the SKS's have taught me that a 20+" barrel gives a better trajectory (less arc) for no fuss shooting between 25 and 200 yards.

I'm looking and comparing the Arsenal and Vepr rifles.  Pound for pound (more bang for the buck?) the Vepr looks like a better choice.  I can get the Vepr in a 16" or 20" barrel straight from Robinson with a factory installed flash hider for about $600.  From what I've seen, the Vepr's have a windage-adjustable rear sight, from the factory.  The Arsenal 16" is about $620, windage adj. rear sight add $30 plus shipping, no flash hider.  The Arsenal RPK is anywhere from $1200 and up, if you can find one.  The in-between lengths, I can't determine.  The length on some may be due to a stupid (worthless IMO) muzzle brake that I don't want.  And one more little bonus that is a plus for the Vepr, it has sling swivel studs.

I'm wanting to research everything thoroughly before the purchase, but it looks like I'll buy the Vepr over the Arsenal, but I may buy an Arsenal later anyway just to compare the two.

2guntomwww.2guntom.com/454/group/2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Hey there you go! Thats what I want to do. If they can work the kinks out of the SAM 5 Ill get one when I know may a$$ is in the clear financialy (whooo dey sure are pricey).

I know what its like to agonize over a close call and all the research Ive been doing on here says you are at the top two AKs ... I didnt have too much of a prob deciding on which one came first cause  I am not stuck on the classic AK look and you get slightly better accuracy and you get a tougher receiver not that the SAM 7 isnt tough. Oh well I dont want to get you more un decided. Let us know when you get it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
RPK is 23", and a rather beefy thickness (another will chime in as I do not have the dia handy).

IMHO the longer sight radius of the 20" bbl has more to do with accuracy than extra bbl length helping velocity. If a 16" gets 2300fps, and an AMD65 in oem 12.5" form gets 2150fps, then not much powder is left to burn after 16".

Okay, very good.  I understand what you are saying about sight radius.  Accuracy matters greatly to me.  That is the whole point of my questions.

I certainly can't say that I know everything; I only know what I've experienced.  The SKS with a 20+" barrel allowed me to hit my target just a little high at 25 yards.  As the yardage increased (50, 75, 100, 150, and 200 yards) I was still able to hit my target without messing with the sights.  I was adjusting the windage on the AMD's and WASR at 50 yards.  When I dropped back to 100 yards the bullets were sailing over the target.  I wouldn't have had a clue where they were going except one nipped the top of the target holder.  That leads me to believe that the shorter barrels have a much higher apex in the rise and fall of the flight path.

As much as the 16" barrel appeals to me, the 20" Vepr might be the better choice for an all around, one size fits all rifle.

2guntomwww.2guntom.com/454/group/2gunsfiring_v1.gif

If accuracy matters like you said and you want an AK the VEPR is the way to go. I have the 20" in 7.62x39 and like it but you are not realy going to get better groups at 100yrds or so any way out of the 20" barrel. It will give you more velocity so you have less drop but the group size will be pretty much the same. I have the .223K in 16" and it is a blast.  I am telling you that you will not be disapointed if you shoot AKs you will be in love.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#11]
With the AMD's and the WASR I had to learn what they were so I could understand.  Once I understood I went from tolerating them to accepting them.

Love?  It would be nice to have a rilfe that I loved.  Actually, I'm looking forward to it.  

One of the forum members has the Vepr's w/flash hider priced at what Robarms charges for a Vepr without one ($50 cheaper).

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Vepr is the best ak ever except it doesnt have a muzzle brake. you have to drill and tap it on yourself.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
...it doesnt have a muzzle brake. you have to drill and tap it on yourself.

I think a muzzle brake is a waste of steel and machine time.  Robinson Armament will factory install a brake or a flash hider for $50 www.ak47.com/products.asp?cat=10

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:39:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I have to agree about the muzzle brake.  I have the 20" VEPR II in 7.62 x 39 and a 16" in .223 VEPR II K.  

With the heavier barrel, trunion, and RPK style receiver, the muzzle brake is not a necessity at all.  From my experience, the only thing that it really added, besides maybe just a little bit of muzzle control....was more noise.  

The blast to the sides will more than jar the fillings out of anyone's teeth that may be to either side of you on the firing line.

Other than that, it just adds more weight to the gun.

Accuracy wise, in the 7.62 x 39 I would have to give the nod to the 20" barrel.  I did have the VEPR K in the 7.62 x 39 but found that the 20" was the more accurate of the 2, specially using the 154gr Wolf.  

I have seen some using the VEPR's in 3-gun matches and holding their own against the other black rifles out there.  But as good as the VEPR is, I don't think it will ever challenge the other black rifle for all out accuracy.  But in the AK family, there aren't many others who come close to the VEPR.

If you want the best 'traditional' AK out there, look to Arsenal.  But if you want an AK for the long run, accurate, and built to last...get the VEPR.

My 2 cents.

Slo
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#15]
"Accuracy wise, in the 7.62 x 39 I would have to give the nod to the 20" barrel. I did have the VEPR K in the 7.62 x 39 but found that the 20" was the more accurate of the 2, specially using the 154gr Wolf.

I have seen some using the VEPR's in 3-gun matches and holding their own against the other black rifles out there. But as good as the VEPR is, I don't think it will ever challenge the other black rifle for all out accuracy. But in the AK family, there aren't many others who come close to the VEPR.

...But if you want an AK for the long run, accurate, and built to last...get the VEPR.
"

That is all good to know.  I like Wolf 154gr SP, so I'm glad the rifle does too.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#16]
My Vepr K in 7.62x39 weighs 9.9lb empty, just FYI.
I wish it were heavier like my AR-15 at 10.8lb empty!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My Vepr K in 7.62x39 weighs 9.9lb empty, just FYI.
I wish it were heavier like my AR-15 at 10.8lb empty!

Huh? Last I checked the VEPR K was around 8.4 lbs empty.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I have avepr 545x39mm it rules, and is a eye catcher at the range.it shoots right on out of the box
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top